• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossroads Blues....And Pics of My New GW A-1

donsom

Atticus said:
That's my old (1973) Gibson J-50. Yes, I've been playing for quite a few years, on and off.

AF

Those Gibson's (and mind you, most Gibson's) are wonderful acoustics with a whole lotta tone ...

I know it's a bit off topic, ... but I still leave all my acoustics close to both the stereo speakers and the 5.1 surround subwoofer of the TV when not playing them. This bit of sage advice came from an old luthier who once told me that the sound wave vibration from the speakers helps to age/shape the tonality of the acoustic ... since it causes the wood to resonate slightly (simulating playing) when near the speakers (and, of course, with some sound coming from them obviously).

Sort of like ... ageing leather jackets I suppose ...

hacker

Jacket looks great! :cool:

You however could use a few pounds. What gives? Don't they feed you down there no more? :oops:

Hacker

Vcruiser

hacker said:
Jacket looks great! :cool:

You however could use a few pounds. What gives? Don't they feed you down there no more? :oops:

Hacker

That's what happens when you get hooked on "LineDancing to the Oldies"....... :D

Cobblers161

That's an absolute stunner, you done good there. Beautiful looking leather and nice fit!

I realise the photos are at 'a' crossroads, it's not 'the' crossroads by any chance? I hope your soul is still your own.. ;)

Cliff

Now that is really nice ......

...is it me or have you captured a sort of Richard Dreyfuss look ?? :D

better duck

All's been said already, but let me chime in anyway: I loooooooove the look of that jacket! and it looks made to measure on you too!

zoomer

There's enough guitboxes on the VLJ - what you need with an A-1 is a saxophone! :)
2373745565_514ecd6373.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, seriously, great looking jacket and you just know it'll be worth the wait.
Heck, I know, and I'm just sitting here seeing the pic.
Enjoy, and play some blues for us up here in the cold rainy north, who don't know how.

Atticus

Cliff said:

Hi Cliff,

Richard Dreyfuss? Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure about that. Most people say I look like Tom Selleck or Robert Redford. And a few women have mentioned Ron Jeremy---back in his younger days. :cool:

AF

Vcruiser

Atticus said:
Cliff said:

Hi Cliff,

Richard Dreyfuss? Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure about that. Most people say I look like Tom Selleck or Robert Redford. And a few women have mentioned Ron Jeremy---back in his younger days. :cool:

AF

Hmmm..add a full head shave...and I'd reckon more like..Joe the plummer... wouldn't you think,Hack?
Dawg

Stony

Very nice jacket and nice pictures. I was at John's on Saturday and got to see the factory in action. He showed me an A-1 and I'll have to say they are real nice. John even made his wife a cross between and A-1 and A-2 with this stylish purple lining that's really cool. I put my down payment on a Bronco A-2 and can't wait to get that. It was two hours of jacket buffing to say the least.

donsom

Stony said:
I was at John's on Saturday and got to see the factory in action.
Where is it located exactly ... in case I am ever in that area, I would love nothing more than to visit and view ....

Andrew

Wow, four pages already, fantastic jacket and congratulations on your loss- must have been from sweating out the wait.

siddhartha

Administrator
Fantastic post, of a fantastic jacket, and one of my all-time favorite songs-thank you.

Somehow, Robert Johnson, guitars, and flight jackets just seem to go together...

Chris

zoomer

Yeah, why is that? "Man Classics" I suppose. What lasts best, and is most Man, most to the point, from different eras. Straight razors, workboots, felt fedoras, home cookin', stripped hot rods, cinchback jeans, rootsy music and cooking, Zippos and cigars.

I have to learn to play guitar. I've got a cheap ole Harmony archtop in a closet, slowly cracking to death.

Otherwise, tho, I am content to not quite be Man Classic. It doesn't always fit my rather curmudgeon-like nature. Old flannel suit pants, v-neck sweaters, a tie a little too often, not above vodka in a martini, better with irony than iron. When I have a cigar I usually light it at the gas range.

Atticus

zoomer said:
I have to learn to play guitar. I've got a cheap ole Harmony archtop in a closet, slowly cracking to death.

Zoomer, those old Harmony and Kaye archtops are bringing pretty good prices on e-bay right now. I guess they've developed a cult following, of sorts. The problem with many of them is that their necks are bowed and there is no easy way to readjust them back to true. If yours still has a fairly flat neck---regardless of the condition of the body---you might have something worth restoring and paying.

Being the accomplished musician that you are, I'm pretty sure that you'de pick up the guitar very quickly. I think you'd find it to be a very intuitive instrument.

AF