• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

creases in leather

flightmac

Is there a way to remove creases from leather? When I removed the 15+ year old ratty nametag velcro, I found wrinkles/creases. They must have been formed when the velcro was sewn on. I know for most of you it's probably too much to bother with on a newer Cooper A-2, but it's my issued jacket, and so is personally valuable.
There are basically 2 creases, a deep one on the left side and a skinny inverted Y on the left. Fortunately, the name strip will cover the bottom. But, besides just suddenly starting and stopping; that's just the area I'm stamping my Flight Engineer's wings (the ones with the engine and propeller), so those wrinkles are in a conspicuous area.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

flightmac

deeb7 said:
flightmac said:
Really? What setting? No steam, right?

Right .... no steam, low heat.

O.K. While I feel I can trust your advice, I feel I have to ask; will it have any adverse affect on the leather? Oh, I just realized, is this related to the hot water shrinking method, just applied in a small area?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
flightmac said:
Oh, I just realized, is this related to the hot water shrinking method, just applied in a small area?

No, because you aren't dampening the leather ... just take care, and try the iron first somewhere inside.

There's a thread on TFL about ironing creases from a leather jacket, but I don't belong, so I can't use search. It will be somewhere in Outerwear.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Still can't find the thread, maybe it was in General Attire ...

Anyway, you can Google it .... some suggest placing a towel, or brown paper over the leather.

flightmac

The iron didn't seem to do it, but I did have some success using an eyedropper with hot water to soak just those short creases. Then I used my fingers to sort of reverse the crease. I let it dry and the creases have diminished quite a bit. Thanks.