• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cowhide A-2

DJS48

Thanks for the replies, I will check the sites. First, I'd probably need a 42. Second, I have 6 HH A-2's, 1 goat A-2 , 1 ELC GF M-422a and an original Bronco HH. I need another A-2 like a hole in the head. However, I would just like to try a cow/steer A-2 for sh#ts and grins at a "reasonable price" and if not possible, I'll defer. Pilot, thanks for the info regarding the Lotte Legend Saigon, Wife and I enjoyed the hotel very much.

Regards,
Don

stanier

yeah. I hear ya. I don't know why but I have never have had much interest in goat, lamb or cow for leather for a jacket.

I’m with you Jeremiah. Not as worried about cow especially now it’s been proved it was used on originals. But goat (that was obviously also used originally) and lamb for whatever reason just don’t interest me, and actually put me off:eek:

johnwayne

I used to have a cow A1, an early ELC creation that whilst a nice jacket did not drape or feel as good as my cape/lamb/sheep(!) A1 hence I moved it on but, as a long term wearer I'm certain it would have proved itself a more versatile tougher option.

Grant

If you can find one, Sefton made damn nice steer hide A-2's. The russet Sefton's I've seen are mighty fine and remind me of my original steer Aero.

Dany McDonald

If it takes a DNA sample to differentiate cowhide from horsehide I dont see why quality cowhide cant make a stunning A-2. Especially if it's chromed as per the original gov directive... that is if accuracy is the goal...

D

B-Man2

If it takes a DNA sample to differentiate cowhide from horsehide I dont see why quality cowhide cant make a stunning A-2. Especially if it's chromed as per the original gov directive... that is if accuracy is the goal...

D
If you check Gary Eastmans A2 book you’ll find that many more original contract jackets were made from cow hide than was first thought. Surprised many of us at the time because we all thought that horsehide was the standard used back in the day . I’ve seen and held several original contract A2 jackets made from cow hide and I can tell you that in many instances the cow hide jackets aged beautifully and grained up as nice as the horsehide ones, and in a few cases better than the horsehide ones.

Dany McDonald

If you check Gary Eastmans A2 book you’ll find that many more original contract jackets were made from cow hide than was first thought. Surprised many of us at the time because we all thought that horsehide was the standard used back in the day . I’ve seen and held several original contract A2 jackets made from cow hide and I can tell you that in many instances the cow hide jackets aged beautifully and grained up as nice as the horsehide ones, and in a few cases better than the horsehide ones.

Without a doubt...

I handle motorcycle jackets made of cow and the hide is very nice. But not as old as A-2's but exposed to the weather a lot.

D

mulceber

I have a BK in Badalassi and it's excellent - a bit thicker than a period A-2 would have been, and of course the price probably puts it out of the ballpark you were looking at, mrchina, but a great leather nonetheless. I've been looking at options for cowhide A-2s, and besides the BK, it seems like your best (reasonably-priced) options are Aero's Quartermaster section (~$600), and Diamond Clothing Company ($850).

Yeah, it's weird isn't it? We all just kinda decided horse was THE leather for A-2s, when the reality was much more complicated. Maybe it's because horse is the one that fell off the map in the late 20th century and had to be rediscovered when people started making reproductions?

B-Man2

I have a BK in Badalassi and it's excellent - a bit thicker than a period A-2 would have been, and of course the price probably puts it out of the ballpark you were looking at, mrchina, but a great leather nonetheless. I've been looking at options for cowhide A-2s, and besides the BK, it seems like your best (reasonably-priced) options are Aero's Quartermaster section (~$600), and Diamond Clothing Company ($850).

Yeah, it's weird isn't it? We all just kinda decided horse was THE leather for A-2s, when the reality was much more complicated. Maybe it's because horse is the one that fell off the map in the late 20th century and had to be rediscovered when people started making reproductions?
That’s certainly a possibility but I think that wartime production quotas made it impossible to source all the horsehide that would have been required , thus cow hide became a viable substitute. Looking at the examples of original cow hide A2 jackets that still exist, the use of cow hide seems to have been a good choice, as they seem to have held up as well as the horse hide A2 jackets.

Thanks for the replies, I will check the sites. First, I'd probably need a 42. Second, I have 6 HH A-2's, 1 goat A-2 , 1 ELC GF M-422a and an original Bronco HH. I need another A-2 like a hole in the head. However, I would just like to try a cow/steer A-2 for sh#ts and grins at a "reasonable price" and if not possible, I'll defer. Pilot, thanks for the info regarding the Lotte Legend Saigon, Wife and I enjoyed the hotel very much.

Regards,
Don
Have you considered this company? I have one in russet and its very nice.