• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COVID-19 and Jacket Makers

Skip

On the EASTMAN thing; I haven’t read it apart from what’s posted here, but it certainly comes across a little arrogant in lieu of the current focus. But even if they did adopt the required measures there is a perceived view from the customer upon reading it that your just trying to work the situation. Sometimes it’s best not to advertise anything at all and answer questions as they come along

ausreenactor

Imagine the people of today going through a 'home front' existence?

"Uuurgh. How bad would life under this Mr.Hitler be? At least I could get my hair done or go for a kale smoothie?"

D97x7

Maybe jacket makers should contact people with outstanding orders after they return to work, not wishing to be overly morbid, but we might not all be here.

Ken at Aero Leather

The more I read that Instagram post from ELC the more I wonder if that was such a great idea and whether it might actually backfire a bit on them. When lots of businesses are trying to take steps to ensure the safety of their employees that statement from ELC comes across more like, "until the government shuts us down we're doing things as we usually do."

Maybe I'm judging the tone and intention wrong but it's in stark contrast to the language and tone of Aero's position which seemed to be a direct translation of the governments advice and with a focus on employee safety rather than business continuity.

Seems though that I wasn't the only one to wonder about it as somebody has asked Gary on Instagram what safety measures they've introduced to protect their staff. Hopefully they have established some strict rules and procedures to protect their employees.

The two things that bother me are
1. that the question re staff safety STILL hasn't been answered
2 And FAR WORSE 213 F*cking Idiots have actually "Liked" the post
What sort of folk are out there?

Micawber

"Uuurgh. How bad would life under this Mr.Hitler be? At least I could get my hair done or go for a kale smoothie?"

Seriously, this is a pandemic, potentially a modern plague if you like. It's not Londoners sheltering on platforms in the tube and listening to Vera Lynn. People are people, there was looting of bombed out premises, mugging, rape, a burgeoning black market, corrupt police, suppliers, gangs that you wouldn't want to play with and no end of nefarious activities under the cover of the blackout. I know, I had family directly involed in countering some of this stuff.

WW2 this is not.

Smithy

I think there's a lot of morons who don't actually get it Ken. They honestly think this is just going to be a three week holiday and then everybody goes back to doing exactly what they were doing before as if nothing had happened.

Persimmon

Hair done. All the barbers are closed now. We will all be heading back to the 60/70’s with long hair

Heisenberg

France :
Don't worry ... trust what the shits medias say:
We have Georges Clemenceau at the head of the state ... a real "war" leader .

ABC90DF4-664C-43DD-99FA-090068F298F8.jpeg

ausreenactor

I guess hindsight will be a glorious thing. Supermarkets are still open so that people can buy food. Service stations still selling petrol. It's not like ELC are encouraging visitors through the door 24/7?

Are they breaking a law at all? They are keeping people employed? I am sure any staff with concerns can stay home.... The rest would prefer an income.

The 'likes' are from people who appreciate their efforts....

Smithy

Supermarkets are still open so that people can buy food. Service stations still selling petrol.

Most countries have asked or ordered non essential businesses/services to close to reduce the risk. Supermarkets and service stations are still open because they're generally considered essential services in most countries.

John Lever

Spot on Tim, but it’s not just the makers is it, it’s all the trades that these guys depend on and order from that go into making a finely crafted leather jacket. The tanneries, haberdashery stores, knits, button press studs, zips. Not to mentioned the struggling postal/ courier services that they depend on on to get your finely crafted to your door.

I know BK, Eastman and Aero use the same Italian tannery, and as Italy is in lockdown, materials will be that much harder to get, if at all in the foreseeable future.

So yeah this is a real serious problem, and I wish some people here( Australia not the forum) would take this deadly serious.
I think some factories in Italy are still active

fishmeok

As a one man shop it's pretty easy for me to practice social distancing, but I am seeing suppliers reducing personnel to keep them safe and orders are going out at a slower pace. I don't expect this to put me out of business, but I do it for the love of the thing with no employees to look after so that's an easier statement for me to make. I would still be making jackets even if I had a full time job somewhere else.

Mark

33-1729

If this madness will continiue long enough, then people will not need not only repro jackets, but also to much more. Many have already lost their business or job. On the other hand, if in the summer it all ends, then there is a chance. One thing is obvious that the world will probably not be the same as before.

The concept of seasonal illnesses isn’t entirely accurate. For the common cold, yes, the virus carries farther in drier (colder) air than in humid air, but that’s not the biggest “seasonal” factor. The common cold has been around for a while and herd immunity is in force, so the best chance it has of being transmitted is during the school year when many are tightly packed together for months at a time. It’s more precise to call the common cold a “school year” illness, rather than a "seasonal" one.

Since COVID-19 is a new illness it can be easily passed from one to another, regardless of season, as herd immunity doesn’t exist yet. Those hoping it goes away during the summer have to wait until many have had it, if season is a factor at all.

On a completely different note, after watching the official government line in post #52 I'm spending my next vacation money in Scotland. Brilliant!

Persimmon

I can almost see the Eastman factory saying how they would love to make and sell the NHS those badly needed ventilators.
Now let’s see.
Oh yes we must add the Elite elements to them. Insignia everywhere. That’s what the ill need.
In vintage Warhorse of course.
And might we suggest sir that we produce them Time Worn just for extra touch of luxury.
In a crisis. One can never not have the best.

KariJ

The two things that bother me are
1. that the question re staff safety STILL hasn't been answered
Sir Ken's approach is very "nordic". I really respect the example that he showed. There is no fair and respectable business if a business owner does not put his employees first and guarantee their safety in all working conditions. Now there should be no room for stupid WWII style adds nor statements referring to war. Ethically strong business like Ken's shall survive and should to be recognized also after this pandemia !

ausreenactor

But this is worse than WW2 apparently?

Once again, for those that failed to grasp the reference. The A-2 contracts were predominantly produced during times of enforced black outs, food rationing and personal sacrifice.

Why are we roasting entities who wish to 'carry on? I am sure that ELC are not forcing anyone to work? And ELC should not be forced to explain their decision to anyone but paying customers..

Four months ago you all wanted Ken's blood? Hypocritical sons o' be-arches!