• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple new jackets...Aero J106 and Lost Worlds Easy Ryder

siddhartha

Administrator
Hi guys,

I will be doing a more formal review of these jackets, but I wanted to mention that I did in fact receive both of these jackets this past week.

First off, the Aero/Insurrection J106:

I had been wanting this jacket for a while, ever since I saw it on Aero's page. I thought that the wait would be too long, I was unsure of the sizing, and the cost was a bit much. However, I was becoming increasingly unsatisfied with my Aero King of the Road jacket. The KOTR was simply too big on me, a tagged sz 46, and there were a couple of details I wasn't crazy about. Don't get me wrong-it's a fine jacket, but I like the more utilitarian-looking J106.
Over on the Fedora Lounge, I came to see that Insurrection, a leather shop based out of Seattle, WA was the USA point contact for Aero. They were also being given an allotment of jackets, so USA customers wouldn't have so long a wait on a jacket. Plus, they altered the measurements of the stock Aero jackets, slimming them down a bit, and adding length to the body and sleeves. I thought that if I could get one of the Insurrection/Aero J106 jackets, it might be the perfect one for me.
I called up Insurrection, and spoke at length with Carrie and Wade. Wade assured me that I was much more a size 42 (!!) than a 44 or 46. I was unsure, so they sent me a fit jacket. It was a J106, in heavy steerhide (though labeled Horsehide-from a bygone era). I thought the jacket was fantastic, and the fit was really good. I was still a bit unsure if I should size up. Much deliberation, but both Carrie and Wade assured me that I should go with the 42. I could always exchange it should I need to. I decided somewhat last-minute to go with the FQHH over the heavy steer, as the Aero KOTR I had in FQHH was really great leather. That said, I'd likely be happy with either. The heavy steer was a bit heavier than the jacket I did receive, but I am confident I made the right choice for me. I simply prefer horsehide at this point.
All was not roses-there was a production delay with my jacket, as it arrived in Seattle with different specs than we agreed upon. Carrie intercepted the jacket, and Aero put a rush on the replacement. All said, probably around 3-4 weeks delay on the jacket from the time it was supposed to arrive. Not a big deal for me, as I had other jackets, and was ok with the wait. Heck-people in Europe ordering directly from Aero are putting up with a 6-month wait, so a few more weeks was acceptable to me! Plus, I wanted the details that Insurrection was offering, most notably the shoulder gussets rather than a full action back. I think this detail is essential in keeping the lines clean and simple, and it keeps the overall slim profile.
More details on the jacket will follow in my detailed review (with pictures) that I will post in the coming weeks.

Second-the Lost Worlds Easy Ryder:
I noticed this particular jacket on the Lost Worlds site. It's the black horsehide jacket with white collar strap, and white floating sleeve facings. It has vintage Crown zippers. I noticed the jacket on eBay, and saw that it went through a few cycles without selling. I contacted the seller directly, and worked out a reasonable price. I was again unsure of the sizing, as it is a tagged 42. The seller assured me that if I was used to a size 44, that this would work well. I was still unsure, as I though I'd be stuck reselling it if it didn't fit, but decided to try it.
Well, the sizing is really good. I couldn't have made the size 44 work-it'd be too big. This particular jacket omits any pockets, and also the side buckles, which lends to a very clean, minimal look. The materials and construction are absolutely faultless. The horsehide that LW is using now is really nice, doesn't have that "plastic-y" finish that I experienced on an A-2 of theirs that I owned about 10 years ago. It's really heavy horsehide (heavier than the Aero J106 I have, and on-par with the Aero heavy steer that Wade sent me) but is still relatively soft, and supple. The previous owner told me it was about 6 months old. The liner is a heavy nylon, with a satin feel, and it is faced underneath the nylon with heavy cotton drill. Really, really nice. The only thing I've done with it is use some leather cleaner on the white leather parts, and they cleaned right up (not that they were overly stained to start with). The jacket shows minimal wear, and is really like putting on a suit of armor. Comfortable armor, but armor nonetheless. Very impressive jacket.
More details will follow, with pictures, in the coming weeks.

Best,

Chris