• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could this be a M422(A)?

Ualman

This is one of my 1st jackets I bought several years ago.
Unfortunately the label is missing, but I will post some pics so maybe one of you very knowledgeable people here can help me identify it.

It has the larger left pocket with an added pencil slot, brown mouton collar and a red lining.
No USN stenciling visible, neither on windflap nor on the rear of the collar.
It is named (on inside pocket) to Earl F. Weir. Couldn’t out anything about him, but he also added A.C.E.M. , USN
This stands for Aviation Chief Electrician’s Mate, which was Chief Petty Officer during WW2.

Hope someone can identify it, without a label. And not a lot of identifiable things per kind of jacket/manufacturer.

Guus

Attachments

• 62EB302C-57B0-4DE4-A394-C1BB06ECEE28.jpeg
    62EB302C-57B0-4DE4-A394-C1BB06ECEE28.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 4DDE40F0-52C4-418E-86B9-ED62B3DB728C.jpeg
    4DDE40F0-52C4-418E-86B9-ED62B3DB728C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • CBEBBC7C-917D-4AD8-91E6-83FFC4ED160F.jpeg
    CBEBBC7C-917D-4AD8-91E6-83FFC4ED160F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
  • E6AA7D2B-5B3B-40B9-99C7-26E09620AA26.jpeg
    E6AA7D2B-5B3B-40B9-99C7-26E09620AA26.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • 45F0907F-27FC-4422-94D9-39AD0AB27F45.jpeg
    45F0907F-27FC-4422-94D9-39AD0AB27F45.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
  • 5ED013F4-1E7E-4670-99D0-5A3F8AE505FE.jpeg
    5ED013F4-1E7E-4670-99D0-5A3F8AE505FE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174

mulceber

You’re welcome. :) I’m looking forward to learning more about this jacket based on what the experts say.

Also, I just read the text of your post more closely - if it’s got a pencil slot, I think it should be the M-422A, not the M-422.

Ualman

You’re welcome. :) I’m looking forward to learning more about this jacket based on what the experts say.

Also, I just read the text of your post more closely - if it’s got a pencil slot, I think it should be the M-422A, not the M-422.

thank you.
Shame I couldn’t find out more about him. Would be so interesting, giving the jacket a story.
And about the pencil slot, thought so as well.
Wasn’t there just one manufacturer who made them with the extra slot?

Thank you again for your help!

Brettafett

I'm inclined to say M422-A, for all the reasons Mulceber's said (M422's were early and did not have the pencil slot). Collar says Gordon & Ferguson to me...
Its possible it could be an AN6552, but from what I understand, they didn't have pencil slots...

Ualman

I'm inclined to say M422-A, for all the reasons Mulceber's said (M422's were early and did not have the pencil slot). Collar says Gordon & Ferguson to me...
Its possible it could be an AN6552, but from what I understand, they didn't have pencil slots...

Thank you for the info Brettafett.
Amazing how great those jackets can look after all those years, “even” if it is an AN6652 and not an M422A

ties70

I cannot contribute to the question of G&F or not, but what I always find remarkable about old USN jackets is the quality of their hides.

I had a BLOCK, which was later restored by Steve Sellers, and an Ostermann...both jackets did show their goatskin in such robust and well-preserved condition that there was absolutely no question that these jackets could be wearers for decades to come.

Goatskin is totally underrated!

Ties

Brettafett

Oh yeah, another good call. Steve Sellers! He made an HL Block M422-a for me. The goatskin was almost identical to an original FO M422-a I owned.
Pity it was just a bit on the large side or I;'d still have that.

Check out these G&F originals... Particularly, the collar.

mulceber

I cannot contribute to the question of G&F or not, but what I always find remarkable about old USN jackets is the quality of their hides.

I had a BLOCK, which was later restored by Steve Sellers, and an Ostermann...both jackets did show their goatskin in such robust and well-preserved condition that there was absolutely no question that these jackets could be wearers for decades to come.

Goatskin is totally underrated!

Ties

Agreed completely on Goatskin. I find it takes FOREVER to develop character, but once it does, it's possibly the best leather out there, and it lasts forever. Both my '60s G-1 and especially my AN-J-3 look like they're 20-30 years old, and they feel more robust than my original A-2s.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Not an expert either, but I’d say it’s an M-422A based on all the info previously discussed and the Talon zipper. It has all of the traits of an M-422 A . The USN missing from the collar could have easily worn off over the years .

Silver Surfer

g&f or block m-422a.i forget which if not both had the one wider slotted pocket. both had the pointy collar lobes, and both had salmon colored liners. both had m-42 talons. that the jacket does not have us on the back of the collar would indicate that it was possibly made for the civy market, or px purchase. and yes, as a rule, the goat hides on the m series jackets was high quality, and have held up well over the many years.

mulceber

Another possibility: I recall hearing that a lot of pilots took out the labels from their jackets so that they could claim they were private purchase and therefore that they could take them home. I wonder if this pilot removed the label and took acetone or a similar solvent to the back of the collar to remove the USN for good measure.