• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could I get an ID on this jacket please?

demonlemon

Hi,

I’m new to the world of leather jackets and I’d like to purchase one in this style.

As far as I can tell the design is quite common. Would someone be able to recommend me some solid entry level brands that produce this type of jacket?

Thanks in advance!

8398CCC8-BFB8-4B1A-8677-02CF97C3EEF5.jpeg
66082260-999E-4CEA-9CB1-81635A17C48A.jpeg

mulceber

Not sure the Highwayman had the windflap (but I could be wrong!), but otherwise, yeah, Highwayman style. I agree with what others have said: look to Aero Leather for a high-end version, or Five Star Leather for a more affordable (but still quality) option.

demonlemon

Thanks everyone. If I didn’t want to go the custom route, are there any pre existing jackets in this style that I could pick up second hand? The aero is a bit pricey for me even in used condition.

mulceber

Definitely check out Five Star. It's custom, but about half the price of the Aero. If you search ebay, it shouldn't be hard to find yourself an Aero Highwayman, and probably at a good price.

AVI's halfbelt might be a good option too.

demonlemon

Five star are requesting some clearer photos. Should I just send some photos of the original aero highwayman? Ideally I’d like a slightly boxier fit as shown in the images.

Southoftheborder

HWM style jackets from other makers turn up on eBay all the time, sometimes very good ones for less than a hundred quid in UK money. It's one of the most copied style of jacket around which pisses Ken Calder at Aero off no end. He reckons he created it but actually it existed long before and he only added some extra touches like the American style cuffs - and gave it a name. He had some dealings with Five Star a couple of years ago so I expect he would be overjoyed if they started copying it too....

All the HWM styles whoever makes them should be a fifties boxy fit. For instance the Aero in a 42 typically has a P2P of around 24" to 25" and most people sized down to get the trim fit that has been the fashion for a good few years now. We seem to be going into an eighties/nineties revival so in a couple of years I expect everyone will be wearing massive oversized jackets again.

MikeyB-17

My Highwayman is a 42, yet the pit to pit is about 48 inches-in fact it was stated as 50 inches on Aero’s website. I’m about a 44 these days, and it fits great. I also have a Highwayman style jacket by AMI leathers, of which I note there are a few on EBay at the mo, one of the aforementioned legions of companies making Highwaymans (Highwaymen?), but by no means a bad jacket, no Aero of course, but nice leather, decent zips, tartan wool lining, storm cuffs, well made. I don’t think they’re in business any more, but worth seeking out. I might put it up for sale, since the Aero has superseded it.

demonlemon

What leather would you guys recommend from five star? I'm going for black, and would like it to be fairly soft.

Also, I don't own any other leather jackets to measure. I have a Carhartt workwear jacket that fits nice and boxy, would it be okay to send five star the measurements of that?

mulceber

Shawn's lambskin is pretty soft, but lambskin the least durable leather out there. It's popular in the film industry precisely because it's easy to make it look like it's 20 years old. My vote would be goatskin. Much more durable, but still comfortable and pliable.

Sure, if you like the measurements from that, go for it. I'd just be very careful in how you measure. Make sure the jacket is lying perfectly flat on a hard surface when you measure, and pull the measuring tape taut.

Last edited: