• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cotton Thread vs Nylon Thread

Striker

I have heard that the G-1 used nylon thread rather than cotton thread like the A-2.

Is nylon thread ideal for a leather jacket since it is stronger, or, does cotton thread hold up just fine, thus using nylon thread is not important?

Thanks,

Striker

Peter Graham

My original AN-J-3A uses rayon thread, which will not rot but I have had several jackets bust a seam because of rotted cotton thread. Rayon stands the test of time better.

A

Anonymous

I hear the thread stories with great interest, appreciate the fact that originals were cotton, but today's threads seem to be nylon or poly cotton or some other blend.

Repro makers tell us it's cotton, but how can you tell?
They all look the same.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
PLATON said:
Repro makers tell us it's cotton, but how can you tell?
They all look the same.

Find a loose thread, and burn it.

Cotton burns, generally synthetic fibres will burn, and melt.

A

Anonymous

Well, what I am saying is you gonna try and burn the thread on your jacket to see if it will burn or burn and melt?

Striker

But if the original G-1 used nylon thread, doesn't that make nylon thread perfectly authentic?

And, will nylon thread last much, much longer than cotton?

Roughwear

This subject has come up before. When repairing wartime jackets I use cotton thread from the 1940s. There is a chap in Canada who was selling it cheap on Ebay.

A

Anonymous

Striker said:
But if the original G-1 used nylon thread, doesn't that make nylon thread perfectly authentic?

And, will nylon thread last much, much longer than cotton?

Perfectly authentic for G-1 type jackets! My 1950s Foster (just sold) had thick dark brown nylon thread. As far as A-2s I think most were sewn with cotton thread but my Roughwear 18091 seems to have been sewn with nylon or rayon slightly thin shiny dark brown thread, It may be mercerized cotton thread but its thinness makes me think man-made. There's also the slight possibility it's silk.