• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cosmonauts

MauldinFan

View attachment 35317
NASA astronaut Norman Thagard wore this pressure suit during the launch to the space station Mir on board Soyuz TM-21 on March 14, 1995, as a member of the Mir 18 Mission (3/14/95-7/7/95). Dr. Thagard was the first American to participate in a joint Russian-American human flight mission since the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975. He was also the first American to launch on board a Soyuz spacecraft.

The suit's manufacturer, Zvezda, transferred it to NASA as part of the U.S.-Russian agreement on Thagard's missio
Where is this now?
I saw Thagard several times when I was working at a copy shop just off the edges of the campus at Florida State University where he was a professor, in the 90s. They also named the student medical center after him.
He was sort of a jerk each time I dealt with him, though.

Ed Rooney

No wonder they are angry at the world.

View attachment 35318
View attachment 35319
Jellied Beef Tongue USSSR
Food for spaceflight must be nutritious, lightweight, and easily stored. As astronauts and cosmonauts spend increasing amounts of time in space, the food must also be appealing. This is an unflown can that contains a single portion of Jellied Beef Tongue. The meat has been prepared in a way so that a cosmonaut can open and consume it without shedding crumbs inside the space craft.

View attachment 35320
This is a tube of Green Cabbage soup that Soviet cosmonauts could eat. The plastic-lined metal tube contains a single portion of the soup that the cosmonauts can empty into his or her mouth.