• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corroded or verdigris zipper

Stony

Are there any new or "tried and true" methods for cleaning corroded or verdigris zippers so they function properly? This zipper would be intact, but I'm afraid to try the zipper without proper conditioning.

Dani-B

Rubbing with a small cotton cloth with a few drops of gun cleaning oil works well. Avoid contact from oil with the cotton tape.
Regards Dani

Skyhawk

I suggest pure beeswax. Rub it on and buff. Lubricates + cleans it some. Be careful not to get wax on the cloth zipper tape though. You could also try neverdull metal polish. It will shine brass to a newer look so make sure you want that kind of patina results.

Silver Surfer

00 or 000 steel wool dipped in a generic house hold soap solution. shake out the water so the steel wool so that it is not dripping wet, and rub going with the angle of the teeth, holding the steel wool like a wrap around the tooth run. if the cloth is solid, ie: not rotted, it is not a biggie if ya get some moisture on it. go easy. pick off any loose strands of steel wool, if there are any on the zipper. you will see after the first or second pass, the verdigis, dirt or rust begin to loosen. repeat as needed. when dry, an application of bees wax, candle wax, etc will help to prevent further degradation of the zipper.

Silver Surfer

i forgot to mention that if ya want to get the crud from between the teeth, what better tool then a tooth brush. yup, dont throw away that old tooth brush, its best when its been softened by use. having gotten the bristles wet with the soap solution, grab a length of one side of the zipper tape between your thumb and fore finger, nice and firm, appx. the length of the tooth brush bristles, and gently push an edge of the bristles through the teeth where they meet the tape. wipe the crud off that has been squished through. repeat as needed.