• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct zipper and knits for 55J14 G1?

selig33

Hello!

Im going to be getting an AVI G1 soon and was wondering which knits and zipper to get to upgrade them to a more authentic replica? Would the seal brown knits from Mash be correct? I know most 55J14's came with blackened zippers, mostly Conmar. Is there any place selling these? Could I somehow blacken one myself? Also, the tape on the zipper, seal brown or the lighter brown?

Thanks!
Alex

Pilot

Hello
welcome to VLJ.
Would be great to have your new member bio at first.
Refering to your question about correct knits and zipper ( plus a lot of others... like liner, tag and fleece which also might be "distant" from all original G-1-55J14 contracts...)...
Please Google with your contract N# for all original G1 jacket and feel free to compare whats wrong and whats OK, in case you wish to purchase this copy jacket.
BTW our new member Shawn is offering an extreemly well made alternative to your am question...for much lower Investment...and same origin as yours.
Hope it helps.
Please kindly introduce yourself.
Thx

Steve27752

Hello!

Im going to be getting an AVI G1 soon and was wondering which knits and zipper to get to upgrade them to a more authentic replica? Would the seal brown knits from Mash be correct? I know most 55J14's came with blackened zippers, mostly Conmar. Is there any place selling these? Could I somehow blacken one myself? Also, the tape on the zipper, seal brown or the lighter brown?

Thanks!
Alex

Welcome to VLJ.
By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

selig33

Thank you all!

I thought i had made my bio, guess i forgot to hit the submit button lol! I'll be sure to get that up and to post on that thread. As for the jacket Shawn has, is there a thread?

Pilot

Thank you all!

I thought i had made my bio, guess i forgot to hit the submit button lol! I'll be sure to get that up and to post on that thread. As for the jacket Shawn has, is there a thread?

Cannot find you in members bio.

Otter

Hi Selig,
I kind of wanted the same info, went down the rabbit hole last night looking at zippers !

The thread you want is in the manufacturers sub forum, 5 Star G1 if I remember correctly. I am also informed that they are the makers of the AVI jackets, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Pilot

just posted
Thx and welcome to VLJ.
For this contract, I believe the zipper maker is depending on the jacket maker but the waistband is always single ply and with a double knitted pattern...regardless of the maker...but for this contract.
There is a German Militaria seller having them (the correct knits).
Will send the link in a few hours.

Last edited:

Brettafett

I am also informed that they are the makers of the AVI jackets, but I stand to be corrected on that.
Nope. Two different manufacturers.
5 Star 'got' their patterns from some other party, possibly AVI's original manufacturer... or more likely, received one of these jackets and made their own patterns from that.
The original manufacturer copied/made their patterns from AVI's original 55J14 and WW2 Bronco jackets, and somehow these jackets/patterns got out and were shared with the entire Pakistany leather jacket industry ;) Soap Opera stuff!
So 5 Star's jacket is essentially, a copy of a copy, albeit good-looking work and seemingly decent jackets.
Two different manufacturers, two different jackets, devil's in the details.
AVI has a new manufacturer, and is re-developing their jackets from scratch, using their originals (and everything they've learnt thus far, I'm sure)... Thats why they've been quiet.