• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COOL

Grant

Photo's been posted before, but W.E. Uber, squadron commander and Aleutian veteran, looks cooler than any rock star or Hollywood actor I can think of. #badass
cool.jpg

dmar836

How could he have carefully filled those stitch holes? Lol
Awesome shot and great that it shows a removed patch!
Dave

Silver Surfer

doest look like a patch was removed, as the patch graining does not conform to the jacket graining. the patch may have been dyed-painted over, and something once sewn on to the roundel removed....or so it seems to me.

Grant

Agree with SS, the patch it still there but whatever was originally painted on has worn away. I'll bet the crazy Aleutian weather had something to do with that!

Smithy

Here's one for the A-2 boys...what's the possibilities for the jacket contract?

Oh and let's hear a bit more about this fellow as I've never heard of him.

CBI

squadron COMMANDER .............. he's a kid!!!!! Those were some interesting times!!!!!

MikeyB-17

I reckon it’s a multi-piece leather patch, but the multi-piece bit has torn off leaving just the backing disc. The right chest is really grainy, but apart from a bit of the left chest the rest is pretty smooth. Just goes to illustrate what we already knew-that they didn’t worry too much about such things in those days. Any idea which unit he was a Squadron commander with?

johnwayne

Great pic and quite atmospheric but not sure about cool, a bit of a cocky scruff bag I reckon, the cigarette holder decidedly dodgy and the crusher a bit too far back - come on chaps, where's your standards!!!

Roughwear

It is really hard to conclusively ID this jacket as you can't see the pockets. It appears to have a collar stand and the way the epaulets lie would fit a Roughwear. It seems to have a Talon zip, so a RW from the 16159 contract is my guess.

Smithy

Andrew you never fail to amaze me!

And can anyone point me in the direction of some more info regarding this officer, always interested to know more.

Grant

Yikes, that colorized image looks like it was done by a first grader.
Curious how you got the date January 1943. I downloaded directly from Getty Images and there was no date listed.

johnwayne

I'm never sure about these 'colourised' pics - they are so obvious as you get flat overall colours, easy to do on most pc's with simplest of software but hard to do correctly and timely, witness the 'grey' name tag! Re the grain on right vs the left, how many of us would accept that if our expensive repro arrived like that!!