• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contracts for US Navy cloth jackets

dmar836

Carl, The dungarees I have seen have contract numbers starting with NXS, NXsx, and N140 among others.
Dave

Carl

I am 150 pages into the alphabetical list , and im not out of the "A's" yet and nothing for N1 jacket makers so far

Carl

N1 contract from DRYBANK
n1-jacket-png.12319

dmar836

Found old company history on the web. Shows several contracts but mentions just one for the Navy. August 29, 1944- March 11, 1947 wonder if that beginning date lines up.
Interesting stuff.
Dave

Carl

Found old company history on the web. Shows several contracts but mentions just one for the Navy. August 29, 1944- March 11, 1947 wonder if that beginning date lines up.
Interesting stuff.
Dave
im showing that BAYLY had 3 contracts for the USN all for dungarees .

Carl

Pics of contract numbers and type of jacket from the USN between 40 -45 would be of a great help !
Can any of you guys help ??

C

Carl

Perry Sportswear , Spaide Shirt Co also had a contract for N1 jackets , these were classed as WINTER SUITS according to the contract list

Carl

Im still trawling through the lists to find more N1 deck jacket contracts . Is there anyone who actually has use for them ? or am i wasating my time ???

Geeboo

carl, I do want the info, but so far it seems not so many have been found, but still thanks for your effort. ;>
Put it this way, Just for N1 jacket alone, the NXsx contract ranged from 10,000+ to around 90,000+, there may be over 30 specific contract nos I have seen, However, although you have been trying hard, last time you said you have gone over 50 pages, just 1 piece of info is found, so it seems to me the info is not as complete as that for those USAAF jkts like B10, B15, A2, etc etc.
If your statement that any WWII contract above $50k is there is correct, then my initial deduction would be all these 30+ USN contracts were under US$50k in value. and my extended guesses would be all USN contract under the NXxx numbering system for other clothing such as various deck jackets, various parkas, various overalls would be similar - small in value below $50k but the contracts number is more frequent [than USAAF].
Absolutely your call to continue or not & thank you for your effort.

Last edited:

Carl

carl, I do want the info, but so far it seems not so many have been found, but still thanks for your effort. ;>
Put it this way, Just for N1 jacket alone, the NXsx contract ranged from 10,000+ to around 90,000+, there may be over 30 specific contract nos I have seen, However, although you have been trying hard, last time you said you have gone over 50 pages, just 1 piece of info is found, so it seems to me the info is not as complete as that for those USAAF jkts like B10, B15, A2, etc etc.
If you statement that any WWII contract above $50k is there is correct, then my initial deduction would be all these 30+ USN contracts were under US$50k in value. and my extended guesses would be all USN contract under the NXxx numbering system for other clothing such as various deck jackets, various parkas, various overalls would be similar - small in value below $50k but the contracts number is more frequent [than USAAF]
The problem is Geeboo , the description on the list is so very vague , so i could and can have ,overlooked some information . The USAAF stuff is easy to find because its always shown with an AC in the contract , so that sticks out to my eyes ! :)
If i was to show you what im reading , you might understand how easy it is to overlook some info .

C

Carl

Perry Sportswear , Spaide Shirt Co also had a contract for N1 jackets , these were classed as WINTER SUITS according to the contract list
Add KNOPF to the list of makers as well ;) just come across that one !

Carl

Somthing ive noticed in my lists, is that the very later contracts actually show what type of jacket etc is being described
E.g jackets winter Type N1 .
Im finding loads of earler contracts for jackets that just show
"Jackets" so maybe some of these are what you are looking for ??

Geeboo

I don't think eye lapse is a factor. You have done a lot indeed. The attached is the info provided by a Taiwanese collector.. Although contract sum & details are not included. it has shown the rough SCOPE of these USN contracts.
Given what you have gone so far, I have a feeling that:
1) all USN contracts are under $50k in value - so they don't appear in your source at all
2) your source only covers contracts by US Army, USN may have another source which the above Taiwanese collector retrieve the info on. Because the info U provided on B9,B10,B11,etc is spot on whereas those for USN is scarce to the level of almost none & is not v. informative. So, I would have guessed USN contracts may have another source
USN.jpg

Last edited:

Carl

I don't think eye lapse is a factor. The attached is the info provided by a Taiwanese collector.. Although contract sum & details are not included. it has shown the rough SCOPE of these USN contracts.
Given what you have gone so far, I have a feeling that:
1) all USN contracts are under $50k in value - so they don't appear in your source at all
2) your source only covers contracts by US Army, USN may have another source which the above Taiwanese collector retrieve the info on.
View attachment 12754
What are these contracts for ? N1 jackets ??
What im going to do is , go back to the start again and look for these numbers :).

Geeboo

no specific for N1. I think it covers all USN contracts under the NX... system. & I am NOT sure it is all inclusive or not.
Hey Carl, I have said it twice, read again my above the 2nd point.