• Hey guys, I had to upgrade the VLJ software because the old one is being phased out. Please let me know of any issues in the SITE UPDATE THREAD. Thanks!

Contracts for US Navy cloth jackets

Carl

If anyone has a list of contracts/makers of any of the cloth jackets worn between 41-46 ? I will ne more than happy to post the details for these .Sort of a an early Christmas pressie to the group !
Carl

Geeboo

does it include deck jacket eg: NXss 9387 - there are no makers name in the original tag, just a contract name & size - what other info. could you provide for these USN cloth jackets ?

Carl

does it include deck jacket eg: NXss 9387 - there are no makers name in the original tag, just a contract name & size - what other info. could you provide for these USN cloth jackets ?
I can look through makers of known USN jackets to see if any of the deck jacket contract numbers show up .
Details provided would be contract award date / completion months and values of each contract

Carl

Geeboo

not an official list from books or documents but just by accumulation of my own database so might not be complete

Geeboo

Enclosed is a summary of M421a contract & its variant/ successors.
The contract column was added from your input in your last thread.
All my findings are photo backed. For unclear-ness in the photo I have put a "?" besides.
After your input of date, some "rarer" contract jkt's photos may be pulled out for further studies.
I have classified myself 2 pockets be M421a - 1st pattern, 3 pockets - 2nd pattern, 4 pockets - 3rd pattern -> your input of contract date might help sort out this myth.
I also remark the use of zipper in these jackets as a counter-guide to the period of these jackets - as the contract date are revealed, these might also be counter-checked as well.
Look forward to see the result.

M421a.jpg

Carl

ok , this is what i have from my lists .
  1. Willis & Geiger NOS 290 $3140 k 3/1942 - 10/1943
  2. Popular Mfg NOS 420 $438 k 3/1942 - 2/1943
  3. Gordon &Ferguson NOS 2366 $945 k 3/1942 - 8/1943
  4. David Doniger NXS 12549 $53k 9/1942 - 6/1943
  5. Drybank NOS 1404 $2751 k 3/1942 -6/1944
  6. " " XSS 16683 $162 k 10/1942 -7/1944
  7. " " N288S 29830 $68 k 3/1945 - 9/1945
  8. H&L Block NXS 5134 $820 k 5/1942 - 8/1942
  9. Berkray 288XSA $199 k 3/1945 - 8/1945
Figures quoted are in Thousands of Dollars .
While looking up these contracts , i have found a maker of an N1 jacket , is that information of any help ??

Please feel free to use this information but please do give credit .

Carl

Geeboo

Tks Carl.
N1 is definitely interesting. Pls post what is it about ?
Q; for 288s & 383s , there is a number following the 288s & 383s from different makers, does 288s regard as 1 whole contract ? & what does the following number mean or be classified ?
Does 383s fall outside of your info system ?
So a DryPak 3 pocket 1404 be regarded the SAME contract as another DryPak 3 pocket 1404A ? - the same thing, 2/3 pocket happened to contract 5134

Drybak.jpg

Last edited:

Geeboo

Hi Carl,
I want to know the details of this particular contract as it does not fit into the normal numbering of say, NXss 12345 system. Tks
NAF 1168-40
NXs - 1404

Carl

@Geeboo im sorry but all i know is what is written down on the lists i have :(

I have noticed the lettering codes are slightly different , but not being a Navy collector im lost with their system im afraid .
Sorry i cant help further .

I will do some more research into the N1 jackets

Carl

dmar836

Carl, Any contract info on dungarees? IIRC the markings on the work uniforms don’t list manufacturer on the Navy stuff.
Dave

Carl

Carl, Any contract info on dungarees? IIRC the markings on the work uniforms don’t list manufacturer on the Navy stuff.
Dave
Dave , its going to be a long shot , as im sure your quite aware the list is huge !! It will be more by luck than judgment that i find anything as the descriptions used in the list are so very very vague ! :(.
If we knew any manufacturer of anything and it was above $50k in value there would be a good chance of finding info for just about anything ! And yes that means from toilet roll to Gasoline and tents to drawing pins !! .
C