• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMPARING TWO DAVID D DONIGER A2s up-dated pics

Roughwear

There has already been some discussion here about the no name contract A2, W535ac29971, which is believed to date from mid 1942 and is the work of David D. Doniger. Earlier this week my near mint 29971 in an ample size 42 arrived from the States and I have taken some pictures of this jacket along with my size 42 Doniger from the 42-21539-P order. Some believe both jackets are from the same contract. However I remain unconvinced as there are some differences in the construction of both jackets which could suggest different contracts or of course variations within the same contract.

The no name Doniger is made from slightly lighter russet goatskin, which is a little thinner than the named Doniger, but this is normal variation found within many contracts. The collar on the no name jacket is less pointed than on the Doniger. The sleeves are inset on both, but this is less pronounced on the no name jacket as the photo shows. Furthermore the pocket flaps are narrower on the no name jacket. All the other characteristics are the same.

The photos are not brilliant as they were taken in doors in natural light.

Here's the CBI ATC no name jacket. It had two owners, the first being in the Airbourne as the outline of the patch is apparent in the lining behind the ATC leather patch. Both men treated it with respect as it is in almost perfect condition.

002-49.jpg

003-51.jpg

016-42.jpg

005-46.jpg

004-41.jpg

012-53.jpg

008-52.jpg

009-55.jpg

021-23.jpg

014-44.jpg

015-48.jpg

No name pocket label in left pocket
011-46.jpg

Doniger pocket label in right pocket
019-29.jpg

018-40.jpg

006-50.jpg

CSC_0515.jpg

better duck

Re: COMPARING TWO DAVID D DONIGER A2s

Wow, that's a nice jacket - jacket comparison. You're a wizzard when it comes to scoring jackets, be it Irvins or A2a!
Thanks for posting Andrew!!

dujardin

i see just two difference, one is the collar and the other is the pocket size.
for the rest, they are identical for me.
really too complicated.
great we have such investigators aboard to count on when we decide to buy a jacket.
thanks again to you

marcel

fishmeok

The sleeve rotation is interesting- the one on the right looks to be about 1" closer to the side body seam. In my limited experience the amount the sleeve is rotated can make a BIG difference in the comfort level of the jacket. On my latest pattern the sleeve is rotated more like 1.5" (I'll post a pic later after I charge the batteries) and it's mostly based on a Doniger. Do you notice any difference in the fit between the two? I like the smaller no-name collar, looks a little more in proportion to me. Donigers also have my favorite hanger (of the ones I have seen)- 1 piece folded 3 times, I used it on my last A-2.

CompDown819.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Roughwear

Hi Mark, They are very similar to wear. Both are comfortable, stylish jackets. I too like the smaller collar on the no name jacket.

Roughwear

better duck said:
Wow, that's a nice jacket - jacket comparison. You're a wizzard when it comes to scoring jackets, be it Irvins or A2a!
Thanks for posting Andrew!!

Thanks for the complement Peter. Being a size 38-40 chest means I can wear A2s which others here can't so this helps when buying originals. So I can wear A2s from a wartime 42 to a 46, depending on whether I want a military fit or a looser fit which you see in many pre-war pictures. Most of my originals are size 44. I am only able to fund ultra rare jackets like this Doniger by selling others, but that's the fun of collecting. :)

CBI

thanks for the great post! I need to post pics of my new original Doni as well!!!

Roughwear

I have been looking at the pics of George's jacket from the same no name contract on JC's Flight Jacket CD and on his the collar is more pointed but the pocket flaps look much the same. So perhaps the collar points on Doniger A2s varied within the same contract.

TankBuster

Great jackets Andrew. Adding to the thread, here is a couple shots of my original Sz44 Doniger. All original knits. Fits like a modern larger size 42.

022-8.jpg

023-5.jpg

Dr H

Roughwear said:
I have been looking at the pics of George's jacket from the same no name contract on JC's Flight Jacket CD and on his the collar is more pointed but the pocket flaps look much the same. So perhaps the collar points on Doniger A2s varied within the same contract.

Lovely brace of jackets John...

IT's just a point of conjecture, but I imagine that this is one feature (i.e. a very narrow collar profile) that would tax the skill of the cutter/machinist as I'm sure John Chapman would attest. Having examined my GW Doni closely around the collar area, the complex seam arrangement at the point (folding out the previously joined seam) might lead to some variation within a single contract.

Without knowing how many workers were involved on the original production line, is this one area that might have varied somewhat from station to station depending on the skill of those involved?

Dr H

TankBuster said:
Great jackets Andrew. Adding to the thread, here is a couple shots of my original Sz44 Doniger. All original knits. Fits like a modern larger size 42.

022-8.jpg

023-5.jpg

That's a very fine looking jacket too Jeff - given the similarity in colour and graining and the burnished areas, that's where I'd like my GW Doni to be in 10 years with plenty of regular wear.

Roughwear

Forgot to smile! But as the sun was out today for the first time for days I thought a couple of outside shots would give you an impression of the Doniger in daylight.

012-54.jpg

013-52.jpg

shiloh

Roughwear said:
Forgot to smile! But as the sun was out today for the first time for days I thought a couple of outside shots would give you an impression of the Doniger in daylight.

You better smile indeed as an owner of such a great collection. Wasn't aware originals in this condition can still be found.

regards,

shiloh

012-54.jpg

013-52.jpg

GoodTimesGone

Somehow I missed this thread when it was originally posted. These Doniger A-2s are very sharp looking. I really like the pattern and shade of russet. The fit of your Doniger is perfect Andrew, which is interesting since most of your originals posted have been size 44. Apparently in the '40s size from contract to contract and within contracts varied as it does today with different makers. As this thread is three years old I was wondering- do the owners (Andrew and Jeff) still have them or have they been sold on?

Dr H

Not sure about the status of Jeff's Doni, Tom - Andrew still has his jackets.

Roughwear

I do indeed have both Donigers. Although tagged size 42s they fit nearer to some Wartime 44s. Here are some better pics from 2012.

David D. Doniger 42-21539-P size 42 (1942)
The goatskin is in great shape, showing no rot or damage.
052.jpg

053.jpg

054.jpg

No-name-David D Doniger W535ac29971 size 42 (1942)
This jacket is in excellent shape and is far rarer than named Doniger jackets.
055.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

Just to set the record straight since the publication of Gary Eastman's books it is known that there was only one Doniger contract of 5,000 jackets. The order number was 42-21539 and the contract number AC29971.

GoodTimesGone

Thanks for the updated photos. Those are better views than you get in most flight jacket books. I'm glad to hear you still have these jackets. Many of us have probably had at least one jacket that we regretted selling after the fact. I think a Doniger contract A-2 will be first choice when I'm able to order a Good Wear.