• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comparing two Black Fleece Irvins

Roughwear

Black fleece Irvins are extremely rare. I have had one for the past ten years in my collection and was recently fortunate enough to acquire a second one. This jacket has been refurbished later in the war when the skin was given a slightly darker polyacrylate finish. It had some further post War re-stitching and a recent make-over from me. They both date to 1941-2 and the first is a size 5 and the second is a size 6.

They were both made by the same, as yet unidentified, maker. The evidence for this is the identical house features which are seen in the photos. Interestingly the collar backs on both jackets do not have the usual central seam. The build quality is not top notch. The collar rings are smaller on one jacket, but the underarm vent ring configuration is almost identical as are the leather zip pulls. The second jacket has a Dot main zip with an unmarked slider bucket, whilst the other has all Lightning zips.

The first two photos are of the recently acquired jacket.

Ken at Aero Leather

Lovely jackets, would you describle the colour as genuine black or very dark brown (as they look in most of the photos)
We had one pass through our hands in mid 1970s at the Thirift Shop, I remember it well although I'd always thought of it as Dark Brown but, to be embarrassingly honest, that was during our pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap era and not enough attention was afforded to what, we are now aware, were some rare pieces, it probably went for around £40/£50 at the time

Last edited:

Smithy

Andrew I found a photo of a Norwegian Spitfire pilot from either 331 or 332 Sqns wearing a black fleece Irvin which I don't think has been seen before. I'll dig the book out and scan the photo for you.

m444uk

Some earlier pics of Andrew's jacket. There are quite a few sheep in the fields around my house. Perhaps 5% or less are this dark colour.

5cff_3.JPG

628f_3.JPG

5ee9_3.JPG

Last edited: