• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comments from others on your jackets

Jason

Its been a subject of passionate discussion in the past. Since its a new forum, perhaps some of you have some new comments to share that others have made on your jackets. I know I had two new comments made only just today.
From a female friend who knows that I like all things aviation "you look HOT in that jacket, it looks really good on you" - Aero Real Deal
From a visiting work colleague, whom I'd never met before, and ex-pat USA resident: "hey how ya goin' there Biggles" - again Aero Real Deal. Found out that he wasn't being sarcastic afterward, he thought it was kind of cool that I'd 'gone for that image'.
From a tourist, whom I didn't know at all: "that looks a nice jacket, take good care of it" - Imperial G-1
From a friends son: simply "cool!" - Imperial G-1 again.

So all good comments for me so far. What about you?

John Lever

Yes, a very wealthy land owner saw my Buzz B2 and said ' what a great looking jacket, where can I get one ?'

greyhound52

Comments from my co-workers on my cool looking jacket--my mint Breir of Amsterdam G-1. My wife on John Chapman's Dubow--Wow that looks really good on you (don't know if John paid her to say that or not :shock: )-- Last while on travel a stranger--Hey is that an original A2 it looks really neat--Buzz Rickson Roughwear 23380 contract in Bronco Hide.

zoomer

Does anyone else have people telling you that any jacket without huge drooping shoulders looks too small? I heard this once from a total stranger (in a clothing store, I will say).

The jacket was my Good Wear United cow, which is also the one I've gotten the most compliments about.

A

Anonymous

"is that a bowling club jacket?" comment on patched A-2.
"heh, where's your harley and sidecar, escaped from any prison camps recently?" A-2
"i don't like the knits and it smells!" wife versus A-2.
"'bout time you bought a new jacket, don't you think?" wife versus A-2
"i used to have one of those when i was in the mickey mouse club!" A-2
"Bandits, six o'clock!" Irvin in West Village, NYC (accurate comment)

19e9_1.JPG

TankBuster

You're crazy! Wife

That jacket is too small for you! Brother

That jacket makes you look trim! Dad

Stranger: Is that a WWI jacket?
Me: No, WWII!
Stranger: Same thing! ..............OK :roll: :lol:

dadgad

trying to translate from Italian so I apologize for any oddity!

A friend in his sixties (I'm 39) "hey, where did you park your Dakota!" > Foster's G1
The chick at the kitchen at my bar "ooh...you looks cute with that on!" > Foster's G1
A friend seeing it for the first time "that's a fu..ing cool jacket looks like it's coming from a different time!" > Foster's G1
My very best friend at my place "let me put it on! let me try it! (then 10 minutes in front of a mirror) I want one just the same as this, buy me one! > Foster's G1
A co-worker "nice that Bomber looks twice heavy than mine that I used to wear in the '80s" > Rolen Ma-1
A friend at the bar "Hi there GL, did they get you to fly to the moon?" > Rolen MA-1
A girl friend at the bar "now that jacket has really something different but I just can't get what..." > Aero 1938 A2
A friend "You failed to order the right size that jacket is way too tight, you are wearing it like a shirt come on..." Aero 1938 A2

Peter Graham

Very few comments of note really apart from the guy working in the used clothing store who looked at the AN-J-3A I was wearing and said "If it's 70's retro you want, it's upstairs " :x

SteveN

How about 'non-comments'? I saw a guy once wearing a fairly authentic A-2 on the city circle tram in Melbourne. I went and sat right in front of him in my Cable A-2 (which I'm selling BTW - a bit too small now). He definitely saw me, but didn't say a word. I wasn't in too chatty a mood, so I didn't either.

- SteveN

Atticus

I live within thirty-five miles of two large USMC Airstations, so G-1s are a fairly common sight here. When I was a kid, and the base supply systems were more loosely regulated, G-1s were a very common sight here.

Nowdays, most comments about my jackets come from older guys. The things they say to me are amazingly similar. Almost without fail, they tell me that they once had a jacket like mine, when they were "in", but their son took it to college and they haven't seen it since.

AF

better duck

Just my girlfriend, who once remarked, when I walked towards her, wearing jeans and my ELC RW 1401: you look sexy in that short leather jacket!! :cool:
Well, just like beauty, sexiness is undoubtedly in the eye of the beholder, but you won't hear me complain! :p

zoomer

SteveN said:
How about 'non-comments'? I saw a guy once wearing a fairly authentic A-2 on the city circle tram in Melbourne. I went and sat right in front of him in my Cable A-2 (which I'm selling BTW - a bit too small now). He definitely saw me, but didn't say a word. I wasn't in too chatty a mood, so I didn't either.

- SteveN

Some poster on an earlier edition of VLJ - or maybe it was the old deja.comm.a2jackets group of 1999 - wrote that the one place outside of Japan you were most likely to see vintage or high-end repro jackets was the gay areas in San Francisco.
(Sorry fellas, just passing on the scuttlebutt. Besides, you put men and style together and you gotta expect some of this sort of thing.)
Now what was true in SF is not necessarily true in Oz, but maybe the guy didn't feel like being seen as gay, or if he was, didn't feel like hitting anyone up.

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
SteveN said:

- SteveN

Some poster on an earlier edition of VLJ - or maybe it was the old deja.comm.a2jackets group of 1999 - wrote that the one place outside of Japan you were most likely to see vintage or high-end repro jackets was the gay areas in San Francisco.
(Sorry fellas, just passing on the scuttlebutt. Besides, you put men and style together and you gotta expect some of this sort of thing.)
Now what was true in SF is not necessarily true in Oz, but maybe the guy didn't feel like being seen as gay, or if he was, didn't feel like hitting anyone up.

It might have been me- I moved to the Bay Area from Upstate New York in 1978- the height of the Gay Heyday in San Francisco- preAIDS or "gay cancer" as they called it when it hit. Wearing an MA-1 meant you were gay- no DOUBT about it! The official uniform was tight Levi 501s too short- white Nikes and a white T-shirt and an MA-1. The used clothing stores had racks full of old MA-1s ("bomber jackets" to the gays) and by default racks of A-2s and G-1s. My first original jacket was an ANJ-3a I got for $45. The G-1 type jackets were cheap- $25-$50. A-2s were also cheap-they'd be mixed in with 50s clones and would run about $45 for a small size 36 to $75 or maybe $100 for a 40. I finally got a large size 42 Bronco that fit me in 1980 for $250! (My girlfriend thought I was nuts!) I got a NOS Perry in the box for $80 from a guy whose father died in Korea. Anyway- the gay guys wore MA-1s predominately but leather A-2s and 50s bomber jackets also. There were no repros back then except Avirex but the fellas didn't wear repros- they wore the real thing- MA-1s especially.

A

Anonymous

rotenhahn said:
I got a NOS Perry in the box for $80 from a guy whose father died in Korea.

Wow. You mean the original box it was issued in?