• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colvinex flight suit stencil question

bazelot

I just bought a mint Colvinex flight suit and he back has stencil for NAS GFS 4. Now I know what NAS stands for but what does GFS stand for? I couldn't find a Naval Air Station with that acronym.
Thanks,
GFS.JPG

Skyhawk

It is a Naval Air station for sure. May be a closed base from long ago. When I was in the USN, they would have coats that belonged to the different squadrons and commands for general use. They hang by the door and you can grab one on the way outside if needed. They would stencil them with numbers like this one. It appears this belonged to the base operations, maybe the control tower and there was at least 4 of them.

bazelot

I looked up and I couldn't find a NAS with the acronym GFS. I am thinking of making a jacket out of this thing. I feel bad cutting it down though, feels sacrilegious.