• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cologne to wear with your flight jacket

Edward

a few years ago I bought a bottle of Armani Code. I like the scent enough but in a way I think its perhaps too man pretty for me. not that I have anyone to impress or seduce :p but I think I might go back to the old standard of the 80's/ 90's yet still very popular today; Polo by Ralph Lauren. (original green bottle) I recall the notes of tobacco, leather and vintage wood that came across so well. to me its a most masculine scent than what is being hyped today like, for example that Armani Code that I bought so I could smell nice, modern and sophisticated on a date... a date... that ...never.... happened.... :D
I read that a popular traditional go to that seems to be popular with women is what their fathers/grandfathers used and that is Old Spice. A very classic fragrance that I may have to look Into but I could only hope to then find a defeated woman with daddy issues. :p
so, maybe I'll stay on target with Polo. What's your cologne choice?

Showerfan

Old spice is on point. I also like Bay Rum, for that same general, old-school scent, and the babershop Pinaud Clubman. If you're prepared to spend a little more, Aqua di Parma is a tried and true classic. And the original, vintage Polo in the green bottle is a great one, though it is nearly impossible to find it anywhere these days -- the new version is not as good.

Another vintage scent that's classic without being so widely used, is the original Mark Birley for men. (Birley is now dead but he started the eponymous London nightclub named after his wife, Lady Anabel Goldsmimth.)
birley.jpg

For new scents, your best bets are the high-end and extremely expensive scents from Creed and Tom Ford. Creed is known for its signature Millesime Imperial, but also makes the very traditional Green Irish Tweed, as well as the pop hit Aventus. Tom Ford created a modern classic with his Portofino Neroli and honestly is your best source for obvious flight-jacket companions like Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanilla and Oud Wood. Those last three are all good for the office.

My current favorite, especially for the evening (maybe more black tie than seal brown) is Habit Rouge by Guerlain.

Edward

Tom Ford created a modern classic with his Portofino Neroli and honestly is your best source for obvious flight-jacket companions like Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanilla and Oud Wood.

Excellent review! Thanks for those suggestions. I’ll look for Portofino Neroli . That one sounds great! There is a Nordstrom here that carries his line so I’ll check it all out. Particularly interested in the Tuscan Leather one.

Last edited:

Micawber

I was thinking Hoppe's No.9 bore cleaner. For those pure .50 cal moments...

Interestingly its website says it has a classic smell that only comes with Hoppe's No.9 !

They clearly mean it to be a multi function gentlemans care product. Must be for gentlemen it talks about being solvent ;-)

Clearly a gentleman after my own heart but I rather prefer to use Young's 303 in my own bores.

KevinJackson

Some fragrances are still old for our time, but you are right. Lauren perfume is still famous today. Leather and chypre are the most expensive fragrances, and in the men's perfume collection, they sound very understated and intelligent. Leather, in combination with a summer day, is suffocating. In winter, it sounds great even without the chypre notes. This is the kind of niche perfume that doesn't suit everyone. But all Intense category fragrances will be aggressive if you don't dilute them with fall rain, even if you like it a lot. It will sound different on your skin, but if you add some molecules of expensive perfumes, it immediately becomes more vibrant and unusual. Fragrance Samples allow you to taste and recognize the notes of a perfume before you want to buy a refill or a giant bottle.

Last edited:

warguy

Personally most of the time I prefer the smell of the jacket itslef over most anything I can bring to it. Having said that though, from one who has never much been into colognes and fragrances, I did recently find something I really like. It is a solid fragrance by Fulton and Rorke. It is a little 2 ounce solid that you dab on, comes in a neat little metal box with swivel lid to keep it airtight. The only fragrance by them I have ever used is “Sterling”, which is sweet tobacco with hints of (yes you guessed it) Leather and Vanilla. I cant get enough of it, just love the smell myself. Not too terribly priced at about $65.00, and you can replace just the little fragrance holder inside and not the whole tin if that makes sense. Lasts forever as well. Never thought I would comment on what fragrance to wear but there you have it.

Silver Surfer

whoa, be careful with the smellorama, gents. nothing worse than landing an original or even a repro that was worn by a guy that wore cologne. the "aroma" is very, if not impossible to get rid of, and screws up the leather aroma, too. once landed an original pookie that the seller said was his moms, who had been given it during wwll by a pilot that did not come back. try as I did,, I could never get rid of the ancient cheap perfume smell. the pookie wen by bye, because of the stink.