• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collar trim material used on B15 jackets

Carl

Could someone confirm for me the type of "material" used on the collar trim on B15 jackets ?

Was it ?

A . a "mouton" type
B. a "nylon2 type of "fur"

Carl

Carl

FB_IMG_1524387402869.jpg

Carl

Thoughts ? Ill get a better pic posted later on after work !
Not feeling good about it now !! :(

Ken at Aero Leather

Mouton (sheepskin)

Correct
The terminology used was "Beaver Lamb" Traslated from sales pitch that means Sheepskin/Mouton dyed to look like (the more expensive) Beaver Fur
Used Beaver Lamb fur coats make great donors, cheap on ebay too, several repro makers (Aero & Goodwear at least included) used this method in the start up days

Pilot

Had two WW2 B- 15 (all small sizes) all original mouton (was even "flaking off" at some spots).

Carl

The collar on this is nothing like my B10 collar , its always bugged me !!
Wondering now if i dont actually have an original B15 after all :(:(

Carl

As i suspected !! :(:(
Looks like mine has either been replaced or the jacket isnt what i thought it was !
Talk about having that sickened feeling !! :(:(

stanier

Carl, I want the fur off my head back!

Sorry couldn’t resist...

What’s the rest of the jacket like?

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-10_14-15-16.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-10_14-15-16.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 183

stanier

Mint ! Its the only way to describe it !
Ill post pics later

If the mouton is not up to scratch there’s people on here who’ve sourced vintage mouton for replacements and otherwise new jackets. They can tell you a lot more than I but it maybe a fixable if not highly annoying problem.