• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colimbo blue N-1 Deck jacket amateur review.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

I was going to post this just before the barbarian Russian aggression on Ukraine but I was really depressed and felt it was not the right time to enjoy the hobby. Posting this today is not necessarily a return to normality…

Here is a very amateur constructive review of my Colimbo Blue N-1 deck jacket.

Short story, last autumn I got a Buzz N-1 with a patch and a printed stencil in the back. I really like the cut and vintage look. So it wasn't long before I was on the hunt for the blue version. Authenticity was important so I did some research on the very elusive blue N-1 to have an idea of what to avoid and look for in my choice of repro. Since I like the look of printed stencils on deck jackets, I decided to pull the trigger on a small Japanese brand named Colimbo. They are pretty new in Military repros (compared with RM and Buzz) and tend to have many versions of the same, varying from military inspired up to almost full authenticity.

The jacket is an homage to USS Croaker, a Gato-class submarine launched on 19 December 1943 and commissioned on 21 April 1944.

My impressions and observations!

Some small mods and fixes.

I removed the Colimbo manufacturer label and a misplaced (way down) Demotex label. I did find Demotex labels on olive NAF jackets, but not on blue N-1. I read that the Demotex came after the blue N-1 period, to be confirmed.
I also unstitch a small pocket inside a side pocket.
The jacket originally came with a USS Croaker chess patch but that was removed before me. So I inherited a circular crown of stitch holes that I tended using vapour and heat to swollen the fibres and gently rubbing the area with my fingers, forcing the fibres back in place and closing the gap created by the needle. It takes patience but it works!

Label.
The label has the correct Navy Department font and the sizing looks right. The contract is Nxs 15020 and I can not confirm it fits the time period. Again I found the 'NXs' on olive NAF jackets. Wish I had a listing of Navy contract!

Cloth.
The cotton is very soft and feels high quality with 24 wales per inch, like original jungle cloth used on blue N-1.
The colour, dark blue, seems spot-on compared with online images and fades very nicely, or was made to fade.

Thread.
The thread may be a bit paler than the originals, but it may also be authentic, I am still looking for proof and I have found an image of paler thread used around the armpit area on an original. I also found an image of a very faded blue N-1 that has pale blue thread all over, but it may be due to ageing.

Alpaca.
The alpaca is of a faded chocolate brown with very tiny highlights of pale greyish brown and looks really close to the originals.
The fur hair seems to be the correct length and it feels like it's alpaca only, itchy, but the label says it's a blend of alpaca/wool.
The alpaca is not double faced like the originals.

Zipper
The tape/chain/retainer box are on par with any high end Talon repro. But the original silver puller was of a lesser quality we often find on some lower reproductions.
The retainer box is not gilded like the original M-43.
The puller and stoppers were swapped with parts from an original Talon M-43. It's really nice!
I may go overboard and change the entire zip with a NOS M-43.

Misc
Button are of the right shape and very dark blue colour.
The eyelets for the drawcord may be bigger than the originals.(?)
The drawcord ends with a metal tubing, is it original...(?)
The wool knits are dark blue candy stripe, very vintage yes, but most probably not authentic for N-1. (?)

Stencils
The US NAVY stencil is very well done and tries to imitate a faded look.
The stencils are realistic and probably inspired from originals. You can find loads of stencilled olive N-1 on the web. Anyways I like the look of it and it adds a Navy vintage feel that I look for.
I think the entire jacket tends toward a fade or used look and with time it will only get better.

I know it’s not a recreation but a really good reproduction and I wanted to try something different, not RM or Buzz for once!

Here are some images, (please don't mind the mug, I dont know whats going on...;) )

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

WK_Colimbo-B-N-1_Front.jpg

WK_Colimbo-B-N-1_Back.jpg

WK_Colimbo-B-N-1_Label.jpg

WK_Colimbo-B-N-1_Front_Inside.jpg

WK_Colimbo-B-N-1_Front_Detail-01.jpg

Dany

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Forgot to add that this post by @Geeboo was and still is very useful!!!

Thank you Geeboo.

Dany McDonald

Thomas, I know you like N-1s and yes they are worth checking. The olive version is also very nice, but again the zipper puller is a let down, considering the overall effort for authenticity.

They did a N-3B with CH Masland label that is very very well done.

B-man, happy you like it... I was kinda of waiting for your thumbs up.... ;)

Dany

asiamiles

I think Colimbo have been around for quite a while; I'm pretty sure I've been seeing the name on Yahoo!Auctions for years. I like the rough look of the stencils on the back.

ausreenactor

Hello,

I was going to post this just before the barbarian Russian aggression on Ukraine but I was really depressed and felt it was not the right time to enjoy the hobby. Posting this today is not necessarily a return to normality…

Here is a very amateur constructive review of my Colimbo Blue N-1 deck jacket.

Short story, last autumn I got a Buzz N-1 with a patch and a printed stencil in the back. I really like the cut and vintage look. So it wasn't long before I was on the hunt for the blue version. Authenticity was important so I did some research on the very elusive blue N-1 to have an idea of what to avoid and look for in my choice of repro. Since I like the look of printed stencils on deck jackets, I decided to pull the trigger on a small Japanese brand named Colimbo. They are pretty new in Military repros (compared with RM and Buzz) and tend to have many versions of the same, varying from military inspired up to almost full authenticity.

The jacket is an homage to USS Croaker, a Gato-class submarine launched on 19 December 1943 and commissioned on 21 April 1944.

My impressions and observations!

Some small mods and fixes.

I removed the Colimbo manufacturer label and a misplaced (way down) Demotex label. I did find Demotex labels on olive NAF jackets, but not on blue N-1. I read that the Demotex came after the blue N-1 period, to be confirmed.
I also unstitch a small pocket inside a side pocket.
The jacket originally came with a USS Croaker chess patch but that was removed before me. So I inherited a circular crown of stitch holes that I tended using vapour and heat to swollen the fibres and gently rubbing the area with my fingers, forcing the fibres back in place and closing the gap created by the needle. It takes patience but it works!

Label.
The label has the correct Navy Department font and the sizing looks right. The contract is Nxs 15020 and I can not confirm it fits the time period. Again I found the 'NXs' on olive NAF jackets. Wish I had a listing of Navy contract!

Cloth.
The cotton is very soft and feels high quality with 24 wales per inch, like original jungle cloth used on blue N-1.
The colour, dark blue, seems spot-on compared with online images and fades very nicely, or was made to fade.

Thread.
The thread may be a bit paler than the originals, but it may also be authentic, I am still looking for proof and I have found an image of paler thread used around the armpit area on an original. I also found an image of a very faded blue N-1 that has pale blue thread all over, but it may be due to ageing.

Alpaca.
The alpaca is of a faded chocolate brown with very tiny highlights of pale greyish brown and looks really close to the originals.
The fur hair seems to be the correct length and it feels like it's alpaca only, itchy, but the label says it's a blend of alpaca/wool.
The alpaca is not double faced like the originals.

Zipper
The tape/chain/retainer box are on par with any high end Talon repro. But the original silver puller was of a lesser quality we often find on some lower reproductions.
The retainer box is not gilded like the original M-43.
The puller and stoppers were swapped with parts from an original Talon M-43. It's really nice!
I may go overboard and change the entire zip with a NOS M-43.

Misc
Button are of the right shape and very dark blue colour.
The eyelets for the drawcord may be bigger than the originals.(?)
The drawcord ends with a metal tubing, is it original...(?)
The wool knits are dark blue candy stripe, very vintage yes, but most probably not authentic for N-1. (?)

Stencils
The US NAVY stencil is very well done and tries to imitate a faded look.
The stencils are realistic and probably inspired from originals. You can find loads of stencilled olive N-1 on the web. Anyways I like the look of it and it adds a Navy vintage feel that I look for.
I think the entire jacket tends toward a fade or used look and with time it will only get better.

I know it’s not a recreation but a really good reproduction and I wanted to try something different, not RM or Buzz for once!

Here are some images, (please don't mind the mug, I dont know whats going on...;) )

View attachment 76645

View attachment 76646

View attachment 76647

View attachment 76648

View attachment 76649

View attachment 76650

View attachment 76651

Dany
Great looking jacket and a ripper of a review.

Dany McDonald

Really happy you guys enjoy it, making a review adds another layer to the hobby of the obsession..... ;)

I probably overlooked or missed details but it's a start.

Dany

Dany McDonald

I think Colimbo have been around for quite a while; I'm pretty sure I've been seeing the name on Yahoo!Auctions for years. I like the rough look of the stencils on the back.

You are right, they have been in business for a while, I was referring to the reproduction of military garment in my comment and not just inspired. I may be wrong, my observations are based on what I find and see on the internet, not necessarily facts but points of views I guess.

Dany

Last edited:

sparidon

Great review, and I must say, a very nice looking Deck Blue N-1. As far as your contract tag is concerned, that is a made up contract number, USN never had a contract with that letter and numeral combo. No big deal, but it seemed as though you wanted to know. I'll have to check out this manufacturer.

Dany McDonald

Hi Sparidon,

Thank you for the information, it's appreciated. Generic contract labels or reused ones are common. Colimbo uses this one on others USN jackets

Dany

asiamiles

You are right, they have been in business for a while, I was referring to the reproduction of military garment in my comment and not just inspired. I may be wrong, my observations are based on what I find and see on the internet, not necessarily facts but points of views I guess.

Dany
Yes, I think they're more a maker of clothes for the "Outdoorsman" rather than a reproducer of militaria, though there's obviously some crossover.

Members online

Latest posts