• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit USA 100 Mission G-1 42 review & pics

Brettafett

Been a while since Ive done one of these, and dont recall seeing much about this jacket, so here goes.

This is Cockpit's Classic Naval Aviator's "100 Mission" G-1 Flight Jacket, size 42
This is the same jacket as the Top Gun heroes, but without the patches. Obviously.
So, is this a G-1 or an M-422A???? Well, its marketed as a G-1, but...
From email conversations years ago with the Clymans, I believe this jacket was patterned after an original Willis & Geiger M-422A, and this is reflected on the generic M-422A label.
P1280454.JPG
P1280462.JPG

Size 42 fits good, with room to layer if need be. Ive owned a size 40 in the past (also the Forrestal version in a 40) and it fit fine with a T-shirt, but felt a touch trim & short.
So the advice to go up at least one size from your chest, is sound. This is a very comfortable jacket and I recon will fit most body-types.
Lengths are good for me at this size. Sleeves are long, but this is Cockpit's signature styling on all their jackets: longer sleeves, shorter body.
P1280468.JPG
P1280471.JPG

This is the updated version, with the separated leather at the base of the zip/ waistband, where previously this was all one piece.
A long-overdue upgrade I'd say. All the necessary G-1 detailing is there. Overall quality is very good.
P1280477.JPG
P1280478.JPG

The goatskin is sumptuous! Lots of grain and character and the 'artificial ageing' is subtle and not overdone.
This jacket is a bit beefier/ heavier than most other USN repros and originals I've owned, but its soft to the touch and comfy to wear. It will last forever.
P1280481.JPG
P1280494.JPG

Mouton collar is genuine fur that has that 100 missions 'Sun-bleached' effect. Same piling and texture (not colour) as my old Eastman M-422a
These vary as each jacket is hand treated and Ive seen pics where the mouton's colour and texture varies a bit. Heres the generic M-422A label....
P1280474.JPG
P1280495.JPG

Cont...

Last edited:

Brettafett

The seal brown knits are ok, Cockpits' usual blend. Not 100% wool thats for sure. They are decent enough and will last.
P1280492.JPG

Lots of labels to make sure one knows this was made in the ol' US-of-A ;)
P1280479.JPG

Overall a great jacket for those not pedantic about original detailing or cloning of any particular original.
Top Gun fans will love it. It appears to me that these jackets have been used in the upcoming Devotion film.
P1280473.JPG

Here are some shots comparing with my Star Sportswear D Series G-1 and my AVI LTHR M-422A
Both the Star and the AVI feel lighter and the leather is a bit thinner. The AVI mouton's texture is nicer, the leather not quite as grainy (but its not been through a wash or aging process, and is coming on nicely on its own)... The AVI feels trimmer in the body than this Cockpit G-1, but Id also say, its more comfortable mainly due to being a bit lighter.
P1280489.JPG

P1280490.JPG

Cockpit's jackets are not cheap, but I guess this jacket is worth the money, quality-wise, and if you're a fan of the Cockpit/ Avirex/ Top Gun heritage.
However, when you can get an AVI G-1 or the M-422A for a lot less $$££ and still getting decent quality (arguably nicer mouton)... Well, I'd buy the AVI every time...
(Yes, a decent original in good condition that fits, is always a winner, IF, BUT and AND.... etc)
It goes without saying that if you want a top-to-bottom stitch-for-stich accurate USN repro, you have to be prepared to fork out the cash and look to the top tier pros...
P1280480.JPG

Note: UK guys... I got back-slapped with import duties on this jacket, and when you add that to the price, plus postage, it becomes a hard to justify tbh.
Worked out almost the same as buying from Cockpit's EU vendors, and you'll still pay import duties on top. You could almost get an AVI G-1 and M-422A for the same price, or maybe rather refurb a beat up original... Still, a chunk cheaper than a top tier repro.
So, geography becomes a factor here.

AVI should have their ANJ-3 ready soon, and I'll be able to add that to the comparison.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

ties70

The seal brown knits are ok, Cockpits' usual blend. Not 100% wool thats for sure. They are decent enough and will last.
View attachment 83114
Lots of labels to make sure one knows this was made in the ol' US-of-A ;)
View attachment 83115
Overall a great jacket for those not pedantic about original detailing or cloning of any particular original.
Top Gun fans will love it. It appears to me that these jackets have been used in the upcoming Devotion film.
View attachment 83116
Here are some shots comparing with my Star Sportswear D Series G-1 and my AVI LTHR M-422A
Both the Star and the AVI feel lighter and the leather is a bit thinner. The AVI mouton's texture is nicer, the leather not quite as grainy (but its not been through a wash or aging process, and is coming on nicely on its own)... The AVI feels trimmer in the body than this Cockpit G-1, but Id also say, its more comfortable mainly due to being a bit lighter.
View attachment 83118
View attachment 83119
Cockpit's jackets are not cheap, but I guess this jacket is worth the money, quality-wise, and if you're a fan of the Cockpit/ Avirex/ Top Gun heritage.
However, when you can get an AVI G-1 or the M-422A for a lot less $$££ and still getting decent quality (arguably nicer mouton)... Well, I'd buy the AVI every time...
(Yes, a decent original in good condition that fits, is always a winner, IF, BUT and AND.... etc)
It goes without saying that if you want a top-to-bottom stitch-for-stich accurate USN repro, you have to be prepared to fork out the cash and look to the top tier pros...
View attachment 83120
Note: UK guys... I got back-slapped with import duties on this jacket, and when you add that to the price, plus postage, it becomes a hard to justify tbh.
Worked out almost the same as buying from Cockpit's EU vendors, and you'll still pay import duties on top. You could almost get an AVI G-1 and M-422A for the same price, or maybe rather refurb a beat up original... Still, a chunk cheaper than a top tier repro.
So, geography becomes a factor here.

AVI should have their ANJ-3 ready soon, and I'll be able to add that to the comparison.
Thanks for reading.

That AVI looks sooo nice...

Brettafett

Well, the general USN specs/ details are there, but its not patterned off or copied to replicate any specific original.
With the top end makers, you get a clone of an original contract, close as possible, correct hardware, materials, leather etc

This is more of a mix-match 'house' M-422A/ G-1 USN flight jacket repro.
I understand its 'based' on a W&G M-422A, but the sleeves are longer, collar hole a bit wider, so Id assume they've taken some liberties with the pattern.
And its called a G-1, generically labelled as a M-422A, with a mixture of details.
They claim to have 50s-style pocket flaps... Perhaps like the 55J14?
The 'hand treated' goatskin is great, but thicker and a bit heavier than originals and what top end makers would use, Im sure.
Generic Schovill-esque, yet sturdy antique brass zipper (like later series G-1s).
Knit serves the purpose and is fine, but not 100% wool, and not rib-rack as per the M422A, more like the 2 ply A-2 and later series G-1s.
No authentic labelling, and lots of other labels added.

Its a great, well-made, sturdy jacket, that is comfortable to wear, classically 'cool' looking, slightly more on the heavier side (compared to originals and other repros) but its not 'original maker'...

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

Great review Brett, the punched windflap is a nice little detail and looks like a sound jacket you could wear day in day out without worrying about it. Interesting to see it up against your AVI M-422A which is a fine looking repro. What are AVI's ANJ-3 plans?

Brettafett

Thanks Phil, yes, they are swanky jackets. Probably best suited to guys in the US who can pick them up on sales and not have to worry about postage and import duties ;)
Still rate the AVI.

Im still waiting to hear about the ANJs... Id have thought they would be ready by now.

Deacon211

Nice review!

I have one of the older series of these. There is another thing or two that the older ones at least had that I don't think were original.

The pockets of mine were lined with some sort of nylon material, both front and back. I’ve never seen an original that had lining on the jacket side and the material was always fairly course. I don’t think these would stand up to too much abuse.

Same same for the inside “map” pocket. The material is light and soft, unlike the rugged material found in most of the original jackets.

Still, it’s a great and tough as nails G-1 that will last forever.

CBI

I'm being a little sarcastic here but I was sent a Cockpit email advert adversing "free shipping on orders of $1,000 or more"....................wow what a deal...............geeez. They do have some nice looking jackets!

Brettafett

btw have decided to put this up for sale. New with tags.

;) yes, yes
I need to let go of a couple of jackets, and this must be the first.
Reasonable offers accepted.