• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit Horsehide A-2 Jake Cutter's Flying Tigers tribute jacket

zoomer

Thanks!!!

One point in its favor is the very pliable horsey they used. Some jackets become uncomfortable because the hide does not "give" even after breaking in. This one feels like a leather sweater or sweatshirt. In fact it's 62° and breezy in Mpls and I've been wearing it all morning. Not bad for July...

silvio76

Hello all,
I took this jacket off Greg's hands a while back, as a knock around (helping to offset his awesome ELC Star no doubt).
I liked it so much, I decided to spruce it up a bit. Replaced the knits, lining and added an authentic-as-possible leather AVG Blood Chit.
And this is the result: A tribute to Jake Cutter's Flying Tigers A-2 jacket, from the 1980's 'Tales of the Golden Monkey' TV series!
View attachment 6931
View attachment 6937
This is not meant to be representative of any specific A-2 contract or AVG jacket... its a nostaglic-throwback to a show that I loved as a kid.
That 'show jacket' was clearly a common 80s repro, (Avirex?) not super 'authentic', had hand-warmer pockets etc... Looked the part though!
Am pretty sure there must have been a wardrobe of them...
View attachment 6932
This Cockpit WW2 Gov issue A-2 however, is a decent quality darker seal horsehide jacket, with all the 'proper' bits and pieces....
Relatively well-made and solid.
Its not patterned off any particular 'original maker' contract, its more representative of a generic A-2 made to WW2 spec.
Has a collar stand and also some mismatched hides, which is pretty cool for this jacket. Scovill zipper. Small pockets.
Greg put some good wear into it before it came to me, so it has a lot of character and pesonality....
Sizing is... a bit... weird. This is a 36L and I normally wear a 40L. Anyway... Its comfy enough and easy to wear.
Horsehide is a little bit thicker than any ELC jacket I have had, but not by much. Good stitching.
View attachment 6933
Jacket - Cockpit WW2 Government Issue A-2, Mahogany Horsehide, size 36 Long (I am 5'10+, 39"-40" chest, 72+kg).
Blood Chit - Top quality leather chit, handmade and hand-painted by Sean Collins.
View attachment 6934
Knits are authentic replacement seal brown knits from Larry at Flightjacketknits.
Byson here in the UK replaced the knit (not the best job mind you) and lining (which is more 'orange' than the original lining, but its fine), and also sewed on the Blood Chit (olive drab threat as requested). OK work (not jumping up and down)... not cheap, nor quick, as it turns out...
View attachment 6935
Cockpit makes a nice jacket. These are not cheap mind you, and not 'original-maker' authentic... but all the details are there, strong, comfortable and well put together nevertheless... Love it for what it is.
View attachment 6936
ps Apologies for the poor fit pics, indoor phone camera... Too warm to take it out and do some proper ones. Promise to do so when it cools down.
Cockpit A-2 HH jacket does not have handwarmer pockets.

Brettafett

Correct. This HH WW2 Government issue A-2 does not have hand warmer pockets, nor should it.
The jacket in the TV series does, which is technically not accurate for a WW2 A-2 jacket, but then I doubt they were concerned about it at the time.

silvio76

Correct. This HH WW2 Government issue A-2 does not have hand warmer pockets, nor should it.
The jacket in the TV series does, which is technically not accurate for a WW2 A-2 jacket, but then I doubt they were concerned about it at the time.
I agree with you. Avirex/Cockpit HH jacket is also not accurate. I have Avirex HH jacket, size 44, from pit to pit is 62-63 cm (25 inches), like my BK A-2 27752 jacket, but BK jacket is sized as 48.

zoomer

The dumb thing with the pockets is they're still positioned for warmers, closer to the center line. Putting pockets at least 1 pocket-width apart is an easy way to make your A-2 look better, but they don't bother.

The fuzzy knits and fruit-loop hang tag are the other 2 things that'd be easy to fix, but they are there because garment making is a nickel & dime trade and they save cost. The pocket issue would cost nothing beyond redrawing the pattern.

zoomer

Speaking of nickel & diming, Jacki at CPT agreed to send some knit for a new collar for my 37J1. I asked for 2’ and she replied how about 1’? I told her very few adult males have a 12 inch neck!!!

silvio76

Speaking of nickel & diming, Jacki at CPT agreed to send some knit for a new collar for my 37J1. I asked for 2’ and she replied how about 1’? I told her very few adult males have a 12 inch neck!!!
yes, she is a very miser.

zoomer

Since then she:
a) claimed her "production people don't understand"
b) stopped replying entirely after I sent her a .jpg to show them

zoomer

Fluffing off stitchheads is surely part of their business model. If we leave them alone, they can change designs or materials to save costs or respond to trends any time they deem fit.

Their target customer is one who feels MADE IN USA is the only authenticity he needs.
IMG_2193.jpg

Last edited:

silvio76

Fluffing off stitchheads is surely part of their business model. If we leave them alone, they can change designs or materials to save costs or respond to trends any time they deem fit.

Their target customer is one who feels MADE IN USA is the only authenticity he needs.
View attachment 8027
Yes, they do not care much about authenticity. Money is all they care. Buy and do not make complaints.