• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coastal Command Irvin's

Beaner1

Looking for some information on the Coastal Command Irvin preferably from members who have or once owned one and how to they compare with say the classic Irvin or B-3?

MrProper

I ordered one, but will probably have to wait a few more weeks. But even if I had them, I couldn't start a comparison due to the lack of B3. I like the Irvins better from the collar.

Smithy

Probably really depends on whether you really have a hankering for the collar or a use for it. A standard Irvin isn't exactly very unnoticeable to start with - it's the big, old fashioned, quintessential sheepskin flying jacket, so a CC Irvin with it's high viz yellow hood will tend to stand out like the proverbial dog's meat and two veg.

Personally unless you really need a CC Irvin for some particular reason and the only things I can think of over a normal one is either one of the family flew in them or because of spectacularly bad weather. But as someone who lives inside the Arctic Circle in the windiest place in Norway (we get hurricane force winds here with at least one storm pretty much every autumn/winter) if seriously bad weather is your reason you'd be far better off getting something far more functional and which for a start covers your arse.

Unless you have a particular connection to the CC Irvin I'd say you're actually probably far better off with a good, old standard one.

MikeyB-17

Indeed. I think there was a reason that a lot of CC Irvins got converted to standard collar jobs after the War. I recall years ago Ken saying that Aero refused to do that conversion. If you have a specific reason for wanting that type, fair enough, but otherwise I agree the standard collar is the way to go.

B-Man2

At one point I owned an original CC Irvin and wouldn’t recommend one as a cold weather jacket. The hood fit very short and didnt reach my hairline. It just sat on top of my head. Remember that the hood wasn’t there to keep the wearer very warm but rather as a yellow marker so the rescue units might have a chance of spotting the downed pilot in the water.
If you like the Irvin go with the standard model .

Last edited:

blackrat2

Do the CC jackets not tend to be cheaper to buy, as an original, than the standard Irvins that come up on the market

Beaner1

Thanks for all the replies.

I have no special affinity with the RAF as my family connections are Army.

The jacket is just for general usage as if I need to go for a happy wander in bad weather I will go with one of my high performance all season jackets.

The hood would be useful but as the standard Irvin a rather large collar itself I am having trouble deciding which is the best jacket for me.

B-Man2

Do the CC jackets not tend to be cheaper to buy, as an original, than the standard Irvins that come up on the market
Original standard Irvin’s seem to be more desirable than the CC jackets, however original CC jackets are harder to find these days particularly in the larger sizes. I’m not sure which model brings a higher price as I think they both sell for around the same amount.

mulceber

Thanks for all the replies.

I have no special affinity with the RAF as my family connections are Army.

The jacket is just for general usage as if I need to go for a happy wander in bad weather I will go with one of my high performance all season jackets.

The hood would be useful but as the standard Irvin a rather large collar itself I am having trouble deciding which is the best jacket for me.

My experience with hoods in general is that they’re not nearly as useful as you think they’re going to be. They’re fine in the rain, but you wouldn’t be wearing an Irvin in the rain anyway. I find in winter, a hood tends to catch the cold wind like a sail and funnel it down your shirt. I’d much rather have a high collar and just wear earmuffs.

Nnatalie

My experience with hoods in general is that they’re not nearly as useful as you think they’re going to be....I’d much rather have a high collar and just wear earmuffs.
Same. Except I’d recommend a hat, and maybe a scarf. Any classic stocking cap/beanie type would go well.

Beaner1

I ordered one, but will probably have to wait a few more weeks. But even if I had them, I couldn't start a comparison due to the lack of B3. I like the Irvins better from the collar.
Well I for one would be interested in your thoughts on the jacket when you get it.

MrProper

after a long time the jacket has now arrived. first impression: very good. However, today it is 30 degrees Celsius and therefore a bit too warm to test and take pictures.
6DC4CCC9-2540-4458-820F-3A2F5E239051.jpeg
0BE786E2-9FF7-4B70-B859-DFC0FCB03461.jpeg
0EF8C98D-218E-4299-9D3A-2761F61400BA.jpeg
CCA0204E-66A8-436E-B205-1B16FE03C5EC.jpeg
6EEB5804-77ED-4446-BD35-B4AB4576473F.jpeg
809B9235-F22F-47C6-82B4-0B8A8E77D7C8.jpeg
BC0A3698-6F22-4426-854D-78C014CC9983.jpeg

B-Man2

The hide looks really nice . Would love to see a photo of the collar rolled back while you have it on. Indoor air conditioned picture maybe? The fleece looks pretty nice as well. Did you prefer the coastal command version for any particular reason other than the hood?
I had an original one of these but it was a much smaller size than I wear, so I sold it on to a guy who could wear it and appreciate the jacket. I like it a lot but could not see it just hanging it in a closet .
Congrats !

B-Man2

Oh I forgot to mention that the one thing I didn’t like about the original was that the hood never covered the entire head but was short and only came to about 4 inches behind my hairline. Does this versions hood cover your head?

MrProper

Oh I forgot to mention that the one thing I didn’t like about the original was that the hood never covered the entire head but was short and only came to about 4 inches behind my hairline. Does this versions hood cover your head?

just some quick and dirty photos.
better will come next days.

Attachments

• 88CC05EF-55EA-4487-A609-1BDE37A0743F.jpeg
    88CC05EF-55EA-4487-A609-1BDE37A0743F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 212
  • CFD3A52D-75B1-4ED5-9C0C-65E4099D6A17.jpeg
    CFD3A52D-75B1-4ED5-9C0C-65E4099D6A17.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 222