• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

club chairs

Happy Hooligan

Okay, not exacty what you'd take out in the field, but It's kind of related...

I love them and figure most of you do too.

I'm looking for a nice leather club chair. Of course I would want it in horsehide, but they don't exist.

What you guys have or what do you guys recommend?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Happy Hooligan said:
I'm looking for a nice leather club chair. Of course I would want it in horsehide, but they don't exist.

Find the chair you like, unrestored, select your own hide ...

Then find a good old fashioned upholsterer, tell him webbing, springs, and horsehair ... real brass domes, not dummies ... and NO FOAM.

I've had several Victorian chairs done like this, sitting in one right now.

Happy Hooligan

deeb7 said:
Happy Hooligan said:

Find the chair you like, unrestored, select your own hide ...

Then find a good old fashioned upholsterer, tell him webbing, springs, and horsehair ... real brass domes, not dummies ... and NO FOAM.

I've had several Victorian chairs done like this, sitting in one right now.

Do you have any pics? I'd love to see one!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay, it's tomorrow now, so here's a couple of pictures.

This one I like, as it's 'boy's size'. I can't remember what hide I bought, other than that it was Australian, and I waxed it with coloured wax to take off some 'newness'.

DSC01648.jpg

This red one's a patent reclining chair, circa 1840, so it pre-dates La-Z-Boy. It was a wreck when I bought it, so it needed all the repairs, repolishing etc.

Don't think I would choose the smooth leather now.

Neither of these are deep buttoned, but I have had some done, with great results.

DSC01649.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I can't remember, I had a number done about the same time, and it's pay as you go.

Just don't pay too much for the initial chair.