• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cloth type desert CWU-45/p

Rutger

The cloth versions of the desert CWU-36/P and CWU-45/P appear to have only been made by Valley Apparel.
Rather than the shiny nomex "disco" versions (which are much more abundant) the cloth version is made of the matte cloth aramid of which the desert tanker jacket is also made. It's a jacket I'm not afraid of walking around in, unlike the shiny disco type. The four velcro patches are a very nice addition. I won't be using them but they add character to the jacket.
s-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpgs-l16003.jpgs-l16004.jpgs-l16005.jpgs-l16006.jpgs-l16007.jpgs-l16008.jpgs-l16009.jpg

Rutger

Nomex = cheap. Check ebay, not the companies selling "military grade jackets".
Paid $115 for mine because I really wanted this exact particular version, shipping is $53, and customs will eat up about $40. That's because the seller is not willing to change the value on the shipping slip.
No fit pics, I only bought it yesterday.

Pilot

Nomex = DuPont ( US Co) registered brand for Aramid fire resistant/retardant fabrics.
In other words Nomex and Aramid are precisely the same fabric/textiles.

269sqnhudson

I've got a couple of the green ones in the matte cloth (2010 dated). Lovely jackets and a perceptible improvement in the stitching too, really tight and harder wearing so far.

Pugsley

I'm also interested in seeing some pictures of this. I have a sage green CWU-45/p, but would like something similar for warmer temperatures.
Also, is the CWU-36p significantly lighter weight then the 45?

Doctor Damage

Also, is the CWU-36p significantly lighter weight then the 45?
The 36P jackets have heavy pique-knit nomex lining, but no insulation. The 45P jackets have insulation and a thin lining. Several years back I wore a 36P and 45P jacket fall, winter, and spring (in a Canadian winter) and to be honest I found the 45P was only slightly warmer than the 36P. Mainly because the 45P isn't really a warm jacket, certainly not like vintage MA1's with the wool insulation. In my opinion and experience, the 36P is the superior, more versatile, more 'luxurious' jacket, especially for civilian use: zip it up and it will keep you reasonably warm on a cool day, leave it unzipped and it ventilates nicely on a warm day.

Doctor Damage

The cloth versions of the desert CWU-36/P and CWU-45/P appear to have only been made by Valley Apparel. Rather than the shiny nomex "disco" versions (which are much more abundant) the cloth version is made of the matte cloth aramid of which the desert tanker jacket is also made. It's a jacket I'm not afraid of walking around in, unlike the shiny disco type.
The 36P and 45P jackets are now made of a matte cloth, apparently, so gone is the shiny green and desert tan. Probably no loss with the desert version!

Pugsley

Thanks. I've got a 45p, but it's a large on me, and a warmer jacket than I need (I've an N-B2 if I need something heavy). Think I might pick up a 36p in medium, sell the 45p.

Rutger

Oh, the cloth CWU-45/P has been my daily wearer for the better of the past two weeks (while the MA-1 has been so for the past three months or so). I walk about an hour a day. Must say I find them equally warm, with the -45 having a very comfortable bonus in that the (way larger) pockets themselves are also insulated. That makes a considerable difference. The -45 is a bit longer in the back which makes it more comfy too. And turning up the collar keeps the neck protected from the wind. About the only annoying thing is the double flap closure of the pockets when putting stuff back in. As for style: nothing beats a decent MA-1.