• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cloth over leather: yes, no, and when...

zoomer

Going to try my biiig ATF fleece-lined Navy deck jacket over my Headwind cape A-1 for subzero cold plus wind chill.

Probably nicely warm, but how lameass is it to wear your leather anywhere but on the outside? I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were a full-body suit, but a jacket is different somehow.

Has anyone had overheating or perspiration issues doing this? Wouldn't try it with horse or goat, but the cape is thin enough, I feel I might get by.

Last edited:

Grant

When it gets super chilly I wear an A-2 under my blanket lined Carhartt, or fleece jacket all the time with no issues!

zoomer

Grant, I think your advice is all I will need. We're having a thaw here but I may try the pairing at a later time.

tibor

I would think it’s a nifty way to get some natural wear and aging to your leather jacket without the risk of a pizza stain, or whatever...

B-Man2

Recently was up in Pennsylvannia and it was cold enough to wear my A2 under an M-65 Lined field jacket. Living in Florida for a number of years my blood must have thinned out because I was still cold:confused:
BTW I remember seeing pictures of John Lever not too long ago on a very cold trip he took wearing an A2 under either an AN - J-4 or M-445 so when it’s freezing outside anything goes to keep warm:)

Last edited:

blackrat2

To be honest when it gets cold it’s either a lightweight or thicker weight North Face down jacket...this annoys the lady mind!
It’s surprisingly comfortable denim underneath...and seemingly goes down better

Bombing IP

To be honest when it gets cold it’s either a lightweight or thicker weight North Face down jacket...this annoys the lady mind!
It’s surprisingly comfortable denim underneath...and seemingly goes down better

My girlfriend hates me in down jackets , I was looking at Feathered Friends Helios jacket the other day on the internet and she went I hope your not thinking about buying one of those . She says it makes me look like the Michelin man she also does not like Irvins every thing else is fair game boots shoes hats jeans what ever .

BIP