• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closest thing to the Real McCoy‘s A2?

Showerfan

I‘m trying to find the closest thing to the Real McCoy‘s own „contract 41-6330 P“ A2, but by a European manufacturer, i.e. Aero, Bill Kelso, Eastman, etc. This is because I live in Berlin.

I love everything about the RMC jacket — the leather, the color, the collar, the epaulets, the pockets, the knits — but I doubt they’ll make my size (I’m 6‘4“, 210lbs., with v long arms) and it costs twice as much as an ELC anyway.

Since they don‘t seem to be copying a specific contract, I wonder if anyone knows which one would be the most similar. Maybe someone else has been on this hunt before?

The-Real-Mccoy-s---Type-A2-Horsehide-Brown-Leather-Jacket-20181103054719.jpg

the RMC „seal“ is darker than anyone else‘s, and I think it will be a „teacore“ effect, which is awesome. I think Aero has something similar.

thanks,
matt

Skip

Not sure really but you could try the Few. If that’s their house jacket, it’s probably made of details from a number of different contracts.

From the photo it looks to have a collar stand? If so the thiscwould be an early design of an Aero or Dubow? The collar looks more Aero, the pockets look Aero, the lining is Mustard?, but the pocket flaps are very pointed which suggest Dubow? Inset sleeve or non inset?

Have a look for at a Aero 37-3061 or 38-1711

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi Matt
I think Aero has something very similar for a fraction of the price... I‘ve owned A-2’s from Aero and they are great quality although I’ve never had that specific model.

2BB768BD-69D4-41CE-AFBC-87484DE2D2F7.jpeg

Showerfan

That‘s one of the jackets I’m leaning towards, though it doesn’t have a collar stand (to my knowledge) and I could fit a few of my arms in each of those sleeves. I’m also thinking about BK‘s Roughwear 27752, because it looks so sweet in the dark seal color and it does have a collar stand.

hilts-f-1600x1600.jpg

B-Man2

Matt
I have a stunning Good Wear that matches and surpasses a RMC. But that’s just my opinion . I notice that all of the photos posted are professional touched up for sale photos.
As you can see this is my actual jacket untouched photograph as the jacket looks taken on my cell phone just now. It is a dark seal color with rust colored knits.
109A4EF7-92E1-4CBE-8021-1E0BDF44F42E.jpeg

Showerfan

That does look amazing, but I believe he is in the US and I am in Berlin. It’s not not doable, but it involved mucho dinero for customs + hassle. Hence I’m trying to stick with European manufacturers.

Does he also make long versions? Or customize at all? Also, which contract is that?

B-Man2

This was john Chapman’s rendition of an Aero 42-18775P jacket . This was made during the time that John purchased the rights to use the Aero name. Since this time he has gone back to using the Acme name. In answer to your question he does make customized size jackets.
What is the price of a RMC A2 in Europe?

Showerfan

I don’t actually know how much an RMC A2 costs in Europe, but I would probably order it from Standard & Strange if I could get one in my size. And they want over $2,000 before custom sleeves and custom tariffs.

B-Man2

I don’t actually know how much an RMC A2 costs in Europe, but I would probably order it from Standard & Strange if I could get one in my size. And they want over $2,000 before custom sleeves and custom tariffs.
I think you would be better off with a new Good Wear as I’m sure John would customize the fit to your dimensions and you’d have a much better jacket for less money than a RMC.

Showerfan

I think you would be better off with a new Good Wear as I’m sure John would customize the fit to your dimensions and you’d have a much better jacket for less money than a RMC.
Doesn’t Goodwear take notoriously long to get around to making your jacket, all the while not responding to your emails? That’s the impression I’ve gotten from this board, though if I’m wrong I‘m happy to be corrected. But I‘ve also read that his jackets start at 3x the Platon price, 2x Aero and 1.5x BK — before adding on the import taxes (20 VAT) and duties — which makes it seem like a difficult trigger for me to pull. Platon won‘t make a long version, or a dark seal, so he‘s out.

From the knowledge I’ve gathered here, I‘m thinking Aero or BK will be my best bet. I‘ve also gleaned that the pecking order of horse leather quality goes Shinki first, then Aero‘s Vicenza second. It’s not clear to me where BK‘s Liberty or ELC’s Warhorse hides fall in that spectrum.Ofcourse, that’s subjective, though I’d (admittedly a total noob) much rather have a smooth, shiny leather than a pebbled, goat-like finish, myself.

Pilot

Good luck with the Shinki.
Please keep in mind...” you only get what you pay for” especially for non standard ( sizes).
IMHO opinion..Ken at Aero is the best compromise, unless you switch to made in Pakistan... for a 5 Star jacket.
Greetings from Tokyo.

mulceber

For what it’s worth, I’d take Liberty over Warhorse. Haven’t experienced either Vincenza or Shinki, although I recall Platon’s website said his “class 13” horsehide is made by the Vincenza tannery, and Brett, who’s handled both class 13 and Liberty, says they’re of similar quality.

Leather aficionados right now tend to prefer grainy hides, if for no other reason than as a mark of quality, since it is typical of full grain leather, as opposed to top grain, which has been corrected to get that smooth finish, and is less durable to boot. But preferences vary. You certainly wouldn’t be the only one to want your jacket to have a smooth finish, at least at first.

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

There's grain and there's grain. Not that long ago the preference was for smooth hides because full grain hides with very few marks were and are at a premium. That's still the preference for high end handbags and suchlike but many jacket buyers seem to want very grainy hide now.

All full grain hide shows grain but some is much more pronounced than others. Vincenza has a small tight grain that is not very pronounced while Eastman Warhorse, which I believe used to be and may still be from the same tannery is very grainy in its current form. Too grainy for my liking and I sent a jacket made in it back a year or so ago. I also have an Eastman Californian bought the same year BTW and that is made in a very smooth HH.

It's just fashion and what comes around goes around. Stick with what you like is my advice.

B-Man2

Matt
I have a stunning Good Wear that matches and surpasses a RMC. But that’s just my opinion . I notice that all of the photos posted are professional touched up for sale photos.
As you can see this is my actual jacket untouched photograph as the jacket looks taken on my cell phone just now. It is a dark seal color with rust colored knits.

View attachment 33238

Im posting a correction.
I’ve been advise by a knowledgeable source that this jacket , while listed on the Good Wear site when I purchased it, was actually made by Diamond Dave in 2014.
My apologies to all concerned.
Cheers