• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clone D1 opinions

JonnyCrow

Hi guys just bought this a vintage D1 clone from 30 years ago, what do you reckon to fit? I'm slim and it seems to fit ok but can only get a tee underneath, was the D1 meant to be loose and the B6 slim or vice Versa? Cheers
FaceApp_1670582117411.jpg

JonnyCrow

I'm still actually any closer to who made it, guess I never will, has strange P marked zip pullers on the pockets also
MVIMG_20221209_120417.jpg

Micawber

As you will doubtless know the D-1 was primarily a mechanics / ground crew jacket. You have to ask yourself what you would want to wear if you were in East Anglia patching up your aircraft in the middle of winter, stuck out on some lonely hardstand on the far side of the airfield from the mess hall with only a small stove in a shack made of bomb crates and tent for shelter. Think about the job, the conditions and you will have your answer.

JonnyCrow

As you will doubtless know the D-1 was primarily a mechanics / ground crew jacket. You have to ask yourself what you would want to wear if you were in East Anglia patching up your aircraft in the middle of winter, stuck out on some lonely hardstand on the far side of the airfield from the mess hall with only a small stove in a shack made of bomb crates and tent for shelter. Think about the job, the conditions and you will have your answer.
Cheers Steve, makes sense, wish it was a size bigger but it isn't, not to worry :)

JonnyCrow

In any case, I think I prefer my vintage Ralph Edwards more :)
FaceApp_1669118177312.jpg

MikeyB-17

It’s not a million miles from a D-1. They look like leather pocket bags, whereas the D-1’s were heavy cotton (probably an improvement). Are the seam tapes leather or fabric? If ‘twas me I’d be dyeing them a slightly more subdued shade. It’s quite similar to a Martin Gould ‘D-1’ I once owned, I reckon it was made from the same Redskin sheepskin ELC used, got more compliments on that jacket than all the dozens of others I’ve owned. Yeah, D-1’s were part of a suit, and the guys were working on aircraft in exposed spots, often in the freezing cold, so they no doubt wanted room for as many layers as possible.

JonnyCrow

It’s not a million miles from a D-1. They look like leather pocket bags, whereas the D-1’s were heavy cotton (probably an improvement). Are the seam tapes leather or fabric? If ‘twas me I’d be dyeing them a slightly more subdued shade. It’s quite similar to a Martin Gould ‘D-1’ I once owned, I reckon it was made from the same Redskin sheepskin ELC used, got more compliments on that jacket than all the dozens of others I’ve owned. Yeah, D-1’s were part of a suit, and the guys were working on aircraft in exposed spots, often in the freezing cold, so they no doubt wanted room for as many layers as possible.
Cheers Mikey :) the seam tapes are cotton canvas, got some dark brown dye the colour they originally were to dye them, person I got from bought it in Paris 30 years ago if it was a 40 and not a 38 I'd keep it

JonnyCrow

In all honesty, although it’s a slim fit, the sleeves look too long to my eye. I think moving it on is a wise move.
The sleeves are fine turned up once, that was done period anyway, but honestly I'm going to do the work lubricating the leather, dying the tapes and sell it on, by that time it will look world's better so at least if it's a fit for someone slim, they'll get a decent enough jacket, it's still vintage and still real sheepskin :)