• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning Rayon Lining

SteveN

Has anyone got a good way to clean the rayon linings of the Navy jackets? I've got a good condition M-422A that I'd like to wear, however the lining is rather heavily stained. Searching turned up only two other treads on the topic:

Just wondering if in the intervening 10 years since those posts a best practice has emerged for cleaning the linings and making them wearable again. One of posts mentions spray & wash, but on a nylon G-1 liner, and that's different than rayon (a natural fabric).

I wish relining wasn't such a huge job or I'd just go that route. If I have to I will, but I'd probably change to nylon if I had to go through that expense.

jeremiah

Naphtha.
In place you could use a white gas.
it’s how old felt (fine fur felt) hats are cleaned prior to rebuild.
Probably would not want to dip the jacket due to leather but you could use a fine spray bottle and lightly spray it.

jeremiah

Yes sir.
essentially then same thing.
The liquid kind that’s not in canisters obviously.

NOT kerosine though.

SteveN

For anyone else interested, there was a lengthy thread about using naphtha for cleaning on FL:

there it was mentioned that it does not need to be rinsed, as it will evaporate.

Has anyone here cleaned a lining with this stuff? I don't imagine it would be very good for the leather at all, but I guess that's the fundamental problem. Anything that can get oils and sweat stains out of the lining, are also going to remove oils from the leather.

Last edited:

jeremiah

If you read carefully, I said I would not put naphtha in leather.
that's why is advise the spray bottle to localize and control the amount better. Might work out and it might not. Hatters will submerge the hat for a few hours or even a day.

guessing liner can’t come out so what I’d do is try a little by spraying it on liner and let it set. Then take a damp cloth and wipe that area and see if it picks up and cleans any.

SteveN

I wasn't going to dunk the whole jacket, just wonder if the spray itself might cause damage.

Been reading a bit on rayon this afternoon. This seems like a really bad choice for a liner of a military jacket that's going to get sweaty and dirty. Almost everyone says it cannot be washed by traditional means (soap & water) and requires some kind of dry cleaning chemical (like naphtha).

Last edited:

jeremiah

So just do a small area and see. I think as long as you go a very little amount you will be fine. That said the leather can take a little. I rubbed the paint off using some acetone and it’s fine. It’s what they used in the war for re dyes.

jeremiah

I have seen hatters spray a hat with alcohol then light on fire and snuff out quickly after sanding the hat down.

speaking of hats.
I made this leather hat band for a hatter.
514B283D-2F73-4FF7-88EC-2773343D67DC.jpeg