• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning an Irvin Jcket

fleet16b

Recently, I bought an original Irvin.
It is in great shape but the exterior could use a good cleaning.
If possible, I would like to hear what people feel is the best method of cleaning the leather prior to applying Pecards.
Advice would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Jason

If it's not too dirty, then some gentle but persistent work with a damp cloth will go a long way... that worked for me. Don't let the sheepskin get wet - slightly damp is fine, but not wet. A soft toothbrush will help for spot cleaning and getting into crevices.
Allow the jacket to dry for a few days before looking for the Pecards tub.

fleet16b

Jason

Thanks for the reply
I have tried the damp cloth method and it has worked somewhat.
However, I still get what looks like dirt when drying.
I am wondering if it may be some of the finish coming loose during cleaning.
Do you know of any mild cleaners that I could use ?

Jason

I have used Mothers (car) leather cleaner & conditioner liquid spray. Seemed to work OK, but I'd only go very gently with it as it seemed to want to 'suede' the finish if used too harshly. I'd only use it for spot cleaning of the worst bits.

Perhaps before trying any other method, apply a little - and I mean a little! - Pecards to a 'dirty' section, and see what that does. Use a dry soft cloth to wipe off any excess right away, that will help to lift any dirt. It might be enough to 'fix' the dirty appearance.