• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Claire Chennault’s crusher selling on IMA site.

B-Man2

This one better have a ton of provenance documents with it.... what do you guys think???
31B7D825-D782-496B-94C9-2B9627DCF14D.png

B-Man2

Ed
Totally agree. And your right , it should be in a museum for all to see. I wonder who’s collection that’s been in for the last 70 plus years. If it’s the real deal I would think that someone would snap it up regardingless of the hefty price tag.

Edward

I Believe the National Air and Space Museum Smithsonian Institution has his A-2. too bad it couldn't go there.

B-Man2

True and if someone came up with a photo of him wearing it , that would make it all the rarer of an artifact.

Micawber

You would really want some hard bona fide evidence of traceable provenance. Even then it's just material and leather which belongs in a public museum. Collectors don't live forever so can only gloat over their trinkets for so many years before they themselves are pushing up daises.

B-Man2

Spot on Steve.... This is a museum piece . Just wonder who has been sitting on it all these years.

Edward

You would really want some hard bona fide evidence of traceable provenance. Even then it's just material and leather which belongs in a public museum. Collectors don't live forever so can only gloat over their trinkets for so many years before they themselves are pushing up daises.
agreed. we are but temporary caretakers of artifacts. and one of such notability (if it can be proven) isn't something to be taken lightly and hidden away in a private home. that price I think is a bit steep even if it is proven to have been owned and worn by him. without proof its pie in the sky hearsay.
There have been many instances where a veteran's A-2 has come up and it turned out to be a post war replacement that was patched up for him as a tribute.. he wore it but not during the war. saw one example just recently on eBay. was being offered as the man's war used A-2 but the cut and style and tag proved it wasn't. probably a post war private purchase to replace what he had... I've heard rumor of private purchase A-2's going to the theater but this one just looked too well taken care of. but I digress...

Last edited:

Edward

the image shows a stenciled name inside the hat. and named on the tag. love the bullion eagle! don't see that often... very cool! still would like to find a picture of him wearing it.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.42.34 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.42.45 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.43.02 PM copy.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

I didn’t check the website but did you happen to notice any documents or provenance with it?

Edward

I didn’t check the website but did you happen to notice any documents or provenance with it?
none. just claimed to have gotten it from a reputable collector. I'm sure if you purchased it that name would be made known to you and you could ask the collector for further info if they have any.

B-Man2

That’s a leap of faith . For the money they want , they should post what they have to support the sale.

Edward

odd.... now the page is gone. 404 on the site. I did notice a typo of incorrect information on the owner.. gave another name so they may be redoing the page with the correct info.

Edward

usually if sold they post it as such. it will still be there but with a red SOLD on it to show the sale. funny it was taken down as we discuss it.. spy amongst us?lol! I still think it will pop back up... it had conflicting names of who owned the cap.

Edward

hmmm well, maybe it sold. hope it went to a good home.., or somewhere where it can be put on public display!