• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civi AN-J-3 By FiveStar

Garylafortuna

Shawn, I who am about to cry salute you. The long awaited custom civi AN-J-3 just recently arrived from Sialkot, and it is without a doubt one of the finest jackets I've owned. It is copied from a Buzz Rickson G-1 that was sent to Shawn several months ago, and it bears characteristics of both the Navy and AAF versions. The wind flap is internal and a little larger than on a G-1, and it has epaulets similar to an A-2. Also, I opted for a two ply waist band knit taken from A-2 stock. The lining is heavy cotton twill which Shawn was so kind as to run through a wash cycle before sewing it to the jacket. Originally the leather of choice was to be russet horse hide, but because of the covid crisis, the shipment did not materialize, so a switch to distressed buffalo was made. As it turns out it was a very gratifying decision, influenced in no small part by Xopher and his Waldo Pepper jacket. Many thanks Xopher. This leather is extraordinary, thick and heavy, yet soft and supple. The color of the jacket in the photos is a little misleading. It is actually a little darker. Fit pics to follow. Finally, this is a terrible thing to have to admit but I kind of like the blousy look. My life is now complete.

Attachments

• DSC_2638 copy.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 300
  • DSC_2645 copy.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 249
  • DSC_2642 copy.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 227
  • DSC_2650 copy.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:

dinomartino1

Photos aren’t opening up for me.
Anyone having the same problem?

DSC_2650 copy.jpg

DSC_2638 copy.jpg

DSC_2645 copy.jpg

DSC_2642 copy.jpg

dinomartino1

Geez Dino, how the heck you do that. I been trying for over an hour to reduce photo size with no success.
Gigantic thank you............... Gary

I had to reduce the size, they did open for me though.
I could not paste them with option to show as full screen instead of an attachment, the option did not appear, I reduced the size and the option appeared as there is a size limit for photos.
1920 x 1920 is still big and works.

Garylafortuna

The tightly woven rayon liners found in almost all leather Navy jackets probably offer more thermal protection than cotton twill, but I have upon occasion been accused of being totally wrong about matters of gravity such as these.

mulceber

That’s a great looking jacket, Gary! I’ve been eyeing an AAF AN-J-3 recently, and trying to find a good source for one. Looks like 5 Star might be my best option! Just switch to an external storm flap and ask Shawn to copy the collar from some original pictures and it should be a good AAF repro.

Sorry, that’s just me rambling. Congrats on a great purchase. Can’t wait to see fit pics!

Last edited:

Brettafett

Gary, that is a fantastic jacket and from all appearances fits you to a T. 'Classic' flight jacket comes to mind.
That Buffalo hide looks to have some very nice motling hues in there. Should wear in beautifully.