• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome tanned HH Indy jacket

Garylafortuna

A great jacket design indeed Smithy. Hoping this thread is an invitation to Indiana Jones fans here on VLJ to show off their 'Indy' jackets....... Jeremiah?

mulceber

Hoping this thread is an invitation to Indiana Jones fans here on VLJ to show off their 'Indy' jackets

Well, since you asked. ;) I started off with Indy jackets. When I tried on a Kelso, I was so wowed, it convinced me to try one of their A-2s. Several months later, here I am.

Here's my first jacket from them: a Raiders jacket. Leather is their striated lambskin (vegetable tanned merino lambskin):

FpJ6T41.jpg

brihU3I.jpg

jeremiah

Ken that was done by the guys who made it at Steele and Jones. It matches the SA jacket but personally I don’t like it which is why I rarely wear this anymore.

Bombing IP

Way big in the shoulders tight in the chest .Me I like the IJ jackets to be a bit more generous than an A2 re the body fit .

BIP

Garylafortuna

Back in 2012 Gibson & Barnes sewed me up a custom Indy jacket in dark seal goatskin. It has collar snaps and throat clasp borrowed from the A-2, and inside facings, inner pockets, and under arm gussets borrowed from the G-1. The lining is custom 97% cotton and 3% spandex with silk blood chit and name tag. Very comfortable to wear. Still a favorite.

taikonaut

I had read that you get the soft and suppleness of chrome tanned while also gaining the strength of veg tanned leather.
Honestly I don’t know enough about it but it is soft. That said. I have yet to meet a chrome tanned leather thay wasn’t very durable.

I can’t help but wonder if it’s more of a marketing gimmick than anything else though.

I think combination tan is a good method. I heard repro makers promoted veg tanned as some kind of elite way of tanning and it probably is since it takes more time to do but then that depend on the honesty of their supplier if what they are supplied are less than 100% veg tanned hide to save time. A chrome tanned hide done in less than a day may be re-tanned with veg. Instead of taking months the process in done in a few days. Its probably the hide most ideal for A2. Maybe that is why we see some repro jackets drapes better and feels softer than others from the same manfacturer?