• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome tanned HH Indy jacket

jeremiah

so here is a Indiana Jones Jacket I have made from chrome tanned HH.
This was made by an outfit out of SA
Steele and Jones.

So you can see some nice chrome tanned HH here.
If I am not mistaken it was combination tanned so veg and chrome tanned.
Anyway, I bet this leather would make a great A2.
It’s thin and drapes good.
BF80AE11-87FD-45CF-B6A0-25F9E5711534.jpeg
80DCBEC6-B6CE-4EDB-BC83-9930BCDFC6E8.jpeg
479A2E69-B295-4A5B-A06E-61C82E813D4E.jpeg
1DF408BD-3904-4068-B7D7-1AEF2412FBFD.jpeg
6C2E1CF4-B619-48BC-B0BD-39A56CA75814.jpeg

Last edited:

mulceber

I can believe it. I defer to you on leather, but shouldn't an A-2 leather be a bit thicker than the jackets used on the Indiana Jones movies?

jeremiah

I compared this weight with my ELC and it’s off by maybe 1mm.

I wonder if Steele and Jones would try.

mulceber

Well, they are Steele & Jones, so they probably should, at this point. They've got Jones pretty well covered.

Attachments

• 1145532-L.jpg
    1145532-L.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 191

mulceber

Although, looking again, I don't think Steele is wearing an A-2 jacket. He's clearly meant to be, but the jacket doesn't appear to have a storm flap, the snaps of the cargo pockets are visible, and the cargo pockets don't appear to be patch pockets.

Attachments

• b219ba173051386df319bacc182a51d4--charleton-heston-cold-temperature.jpg
    b219ba173051386df319bacc182a51d4--charleton-heston-cold-temperature.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 253

jeremiah

How does combination tanned differ from veg and chrome?

I had read that you get the soft and suppleness of chrome tanned while also gaining the strength of veg tanned leather.
Honestly I don’t know enough about it but it is soft. That said. I have yet to meet a chrome tanned leather thay wasn’t very durable.

I can’t help but wonder if it’s more of a marketing gimmick than anything else though.

Last edited:

Bombing IP

Are Steele and Jones still making jackets ,their website is from 2013 and just gives a glancing mention to jackets .

BIP

mulceber

Yeah, their website is badly in need of an update, but they're still active. There's several ongoing threads over at COW about their jackets. IIRC, their wait time is somewhere in the range of 4 months.

Smithy

I actually quite like the Indy jacket design.

I have a Wested Raiders in their "soft seal brown cowhide" which I'm actually pretty fond of. It's a really practical jacket and damn comfy to wear. It also gets a lot of "nice jacket" comments when I wear it. Cost me bugger all too - Wested's pricing is very sharp - and is ridiculously well made for the price.

Ken at Aero Leather