• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Tanned 1.1 Horsehide

Ken at Aero Leather

It was cold enough this morning for me to get a long leather jacket out for my 7.00am dog walk.
The only one close to hand was a sample of a new style I'd been road testing last winter cut from a development leather, a 1.1 Chrome Tanned Horsehide along the lines of and inspired by our battered leathers.
It's very comfortable but the first thing that struck me was that the leather would be perfect for an A-2.
I won't post a full shot of the jacket as we want to keep the style under wraps, I doubt if we've got time to introduce it till next Autumn but check the horseide, it's been worn about a dozen times and I've done nothing to it but wear it, but I'd be interested to see how you guys think it would look in an A-2?

horsehide workcoat 001.JPG
horsehide workcoat 002.JPG

2BM2K

The thickness, grain and softness look good for an A2 but the contrasting dark-light colour is a bit off putting.
This leather in a solid or single colour would be better for an A2.

Officer Dibley

Have to say it looks to me a bit of a characture or exaggeration of what most here think is ideal.
But that's very subjective and i may be wrong !

ButteMT61

I think a civi model or the Shackleton would rock in that. I'm normally not a pre-abused hide lover, but some are nice.

Ken at Aero Leather

Thanks Guys, looks like I'm on my own on this one, everyone seems pretty much unanimous, great for Civvy, not for A-2, you guys have all come up with the same opinion as the rest of the Aero team

Alan.............I'll try to get a photo of the leather before cutting on Monday

ButteMT61

Thanks Guys, looks like I'm on my own on this one, everyone seems pretty much unanimous, great for Civvy, not for A-2, you guys have all come up with the same opinion as the rest of the Aero team

Alan.............I'll try to get a photo of the leather before cutting on Monday
Oddly enough, before I knew what little I do know now, I may have - 10 years back - said "Oh yes, that would rock". But indeed, hides must match the unwritten aesthetic for things as iconic as an A-2.
The nice thing I've noticed in "A-1" variations being made is that there seemingly was very little in the way of originals around and iut wasn't as official an offering, leaving room for more creative use of style and hides, etc.