• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Choice of repo m422a

strwsler

I looking to get my first leather jacket (M422a) and am not that knowledgeable on pros and cons of each manufacturer.Could the members please give some input. I have looked at ELC,BK,G&B and GW. Any advise would be welcome,Thanks

strwsler

Thanks,I am in the US. I really appreciate the workmanship of the GW but it's my understanding that he's had a family loss and there is a 2 year wait.
Also looking closer I may have posted this in the wrong forum if that's the case my apologies.

Marv

ELC make a great M422a (based on the Gordon & Ferguson pattern), if you decide to go for one, I'm sure Charles at HPA (US based) can answer any questions you have.

Technonut2112

If you're not set on 100% accuracy, G&B makes a VERY nice M422-A (also based on the G&F). I've had a couple over the years, and was pleased with the quality. I still have a custom version (ordered back when they did that sort of thing) which sports a leather collar, and epaulets. More or less turned into an USN AN-J-3. ;)

Be aware that in the past, their patterns / sizing ran large. I wear a 44R, and actually had one of their M422-A's in a tagged size 40R which fit well. The other was a 42R, which fit well also.

strwsler

Thanks,I'm 6'2 and 220 so larger fit would be better.In regards to accuracy what would some of the differences be?
I am new to this so don't know what the subtleties of the different manufacturers.

Technonut2112

Thanks,I'm 6'2 and 220 so larger fit would be better.In regards to accuracy what would some of the differences be?
I am new to this so don't know what the subtleties of the different manufacturers.

It's very similar to the G&F in most ways except for the YKK zipper on my custom. The older ones I had sported repros of a period Talon. You would need to ask about that. Also the pocket flap scallops are close, but not dead-on to the G&F, etc.. Little picky stuff which didn't bother me.. ;)

Here's some pics of my old size 40:

CRGorge%20135%202_zpscqf5h07c.jpg

CRGorge%20131%202_zpswbxrnjnp.jpg

CRGorge%20112%202_zps2agkchsr.jpg

CRGorge%20123%202_zps90jg3znp.jpg

CRGorge%20113%202_zpslip889zx.jpg

CRGorge%20119%202_zpsmkvwpqpf.jpg

bseal

And there are devotees of BK out there. You brought it up so please don't forget that their motto is umm I don't quite remember, but I want to say, "Get'er done."

bseal

I would like to correct my misstatement. It has come to my attention, that "Git-er done," is quite possibly the motto. Sorry & thanks.

bseal

Of course, but it's from 1947, so it's a quasi M422a. Pretty breathtaking.

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that there is a higher quality repro out there right now at this price and in this pristine condition.

CBI

If an original can be found in your size, I would go that route. Also, a G-1 is so similar, you could find a super original for MUCH less than a repro. I would always go this route for a G-1/M422-ish jacket vs. paying much more for a high-end repro. No disrespect to premium makers but unless there are size issues that requier a custom job, an original is the way to go............IMO anyway.

Garylafortuna

Talking about zippers Technonut2112, I had a top of the line YKK installed in an N-1 Hook Deck jacket from Pike Bros, and have repro Talons in one of Diamond Dave's A-2s, and in an Eastman Roadstar. I'm here to tell you that apart from being period authentic, the Talon sucks compared to the YKK. YKK is solid nickel alloy and is as smooth as silk.
G&B sew up a helluva jacket. They made me a goatskin Indy jacket in 2012 and it still looks like it is barely broken in and ready for some serious adventures. I would buy the G&B M422-A just for the YKK zipper.

interbak

If you're considering a Bk, I've got a near mint 422a from their first run that just hangs in the closet, size 46, should fit you well. They run a bit longer than I like, I'm 5'10", so it should work for you. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.