• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheapo jackets department

MikeyB-17

I’m sure I’m not the only one here who doesn’t spend their entire life wearing Eastman/Aero/Real McCoys/Goodwear/Buzz Rickson etc. I’ve owned examples of most of them over the years, but sold them all, and especially nowadays I have to cut my coat according to my cloth. I’d love to own examples of the aforementioned, but, especially with prices what they are today, it ain’t happening. Nonetheless it seems that there do exist some fine jackets, maybe not hand-sewn with top-quality zips/linings etc. , which may not be high end, but have the look and I think are a viable alternative for the budget-conscious. I therefore present a few I’ve trawled up, mainly in charity shops, which I’ve been very happy with. I’ll start with my latest acquisition from the charity shop down the road, which has prompted this thread. Chinese made, in the style of a 30’s/50’s bike jacket, not unlike a half-belt but without a half-belt, and by the thickness of the leather actually designed for biking, although it has no armour. I am prepared to bet it would do every bit as good a job to protecting my hide as a modern bike jacket. Big front patch pockets with hand warmers, and an inside pocket. It had a back belt at the bottom which has been cut off. Polyester quilted lining, and probably the main thing that lets it down, an unmarked, fairly lightweight zip (although I think I’ve had less trouble over the years from this type than repro Talons and the like!) It has storm cuffs too. The leather would probably stop a .38 calibre round. Size large, a little big especially in the sleeves, but nonetheless at £15 I’m well pleased.
D71E4330-C946-4687-9ADE-EF36AE405F00.jpeg

Next, a jacket I’ve had a few years, this was quite pricey at £45 but I had to have it. By Lee Cooper, a UK company I believe who tried to be a British Levi’s. In the style of Barbour bike jackets, shed loads of pockets, very comfortable man-made lining, decent brass zip and press stud pockets. I don’t know what the leather is, but it’s thin, smooth and incredibly tough. I had to restitch a seam and could barely drive a needle through it. A well-worn item, very practical.
EA0E783F-8569-4B0B-BC6D-CB0970077960.jpeg

Finally another jacket I’ve had for quite a while, not often worn as it’s too heavy for day to day use. Charity shop, eight quid. Barnstormer style but with no belt. Brown leather, probably steer, again very likely bulletproof. Quilted polyester lining, two big front slash pockets, inside pocket. Marked a size small, fits me perfectly despite my being a large 42. Can’t imagine how big a large must be!
9FF175FB-1202-4FB0-BBAF-D9352B00593C.jpeg

I won’t go into the other bargains I’ve had, the Schott Perfecto for £40 from Ebay, the nearly new Barbour Border for £20, or my label-less Dynel collared G-1 for £40. My most-worn jacket is probably a Schott car coat, which came from Ebay for £55. So you don’t have to spend hundreds to have style!

Kennyz

MikeyB-17 these are nice finds. I particularly like the first and third jackets...cool mustache by the way!

Ken

Peter Graham

Great post Mike. You're right. Bargains are out there. Most of my favourite jackets are ones that I've picked up cheaply from one source or another.

Smithy

That one at the end is a real corker Mikey and you look the biz in it.

I've got a Barnstormer and love the thing. Might need to sprout a mo à la Flashheart to go with it, seems to suit you to a T!

B-Man2

Mikey

They look great!
The only way to improve those pix would be to add a BSA Lightning or a Triumph Bonneville....
( I bet you thought I'd say a Harley)

regius

The English thrift shops rock, these jackets not only can no longer be found here in NYC, if they were, such conditions (and the other ones you mentioned) would be easily tagged $150!).

MikeyB-17

Hmmm, perhaps I ought to wear the last one a bit more often, it seems to be popular. B-man, I would love a Triumph (I wouldn’t say no to a Harley though, although a Vincent would be my first choice if I was rich!). The ‘tash has been getting universally good reviews, it’s been a major success. Women want to sleep with me, men want to have a pint with me!

CBI

looks great - a cheapo jacket thread is a good idea.

I will catch hell for this but I don't believe in high-end BLACK leather. I think dying leather black takes away all most of its character so...........mid range quality leather that is black works equally as well as the high dollar stuff. Sure there are exceptions but, hence, successful cheaper black.

B-Man2

CBI...... I actually agree with you on the high end stuff but..... you can't deny the cool factor of black leather.

CBI

black leather IS cool, I just see so little of it where the really high-end hides themselves are terrific. I can think of some super real grainy examples but its generally not very often ones sees undertones of significance with black vs. the various brown leathers.