• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chambray work shirts

blackrat2

Am looking to get a Chambray work shirt and after some help!
Who makes a decent one, I see prices at over £300 and significantly cheaper.
I have been eyeing up the Eastman one, are they worth it has anyone taken the plunge??
The other players via Som of Stag seem “sold out” in most sizes…any help or suggestions would be really appreciated

M. from Berlin

Dany McDonald

I can vouch for M, Buzz Chambray shirts (USN) are very nice! RM have their own USN version for $$$. Can't go wrong with Buzz.

If you feel like it, browse Rakuten and find other makers as Chambray is popular with the Nippon vintage work wear culture.

Dany

Last edited:

Chandler

Though I only have a pair of their jeans, but can report on their outstanding quality, Dearborn Denim makes a long and short-sleeved chambray that looks pretty nice... if not a bit pricey. But they do have sales now and again -- and I think they offer a first-time buyer discount.

mulceber

I have a Buzz Rickson one, and the quality is great, but tbh, I wish I'd gone for Eastman. Buzz really sizes them to your typical Japanese person, so if you're even average size by western standards, their chambray will be a bit short in the sleeves.

Silver Surfer

as written in another thread, both j crew and uniglo made some damn nice chambray shirts a few years ago. they can be found, used [in near new condition] for $15-$25 on greedbay. yeah they are not stitch for stitch 1940s chambrays, but they fill the bill,, and then some. the sizing is modern per label, , and not goofy over sized. and, yes, I have br chambrays as well, and bang for the buck j crew and uniglo are not far behind.

Cocker

If you're looking for a good repro of a WW2 chambray shirt that will not break the bank, there's a few options out there:

Pike Brothers:

WWII Impressions:

At The Front:

Edit: also forgot SM Wholesale!

Last edited:

blackrat2

Thanks so much guys, certainly food for thought there
Will have a look on eBay at your suggestion Vic and possibly the Eastman for European sizing….most the large Buzz stuff is outta stock

Lord Flashheart

Out of curiosity I've just picked up a Chambray shirt from these guys. Obviously not "repro" and not yet worn it but their shirts are pretty good.

Lord Flashheart

Will do. It has arrived I've just not had the occasion to wear it yet. Got some jobs to do today but maybe later. I have a number of other shirts from them and delivery and quality are good.

IMG_2470.jpeg

coolhandluke

While they're not an authentic Navy style shirt, Banana Republic does offer some very inexpensive chambray work shirts. They are currently 60% off plus the currently sale will take another 20% off (now slightly over $22, originally $70).

Their indigo organic cotton button downs are actually a little closer to the color and weight of the real thing. Unfortunately there's only one front pocket with no button closure, no white stitching, and added collar stay buttons. Still, it's a nice, inexpensive alternative if you don't specifically need a USN style shirt.

Neither shirt is very long so they would probably be challenging to tuck with lower waisted pants.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

There is versions out there from BRONSON (less than 100 bucks) and also from “At the front” which is below the 100 bucks line as well …

Have ‘em both - will try to find some photos during the day

Grant

A couple years ago, MASH did a kick ass job reproducing the iconic USN chambray. They nailed the fabric, correct scalloped collar shape, cart eye buttons and long tails so it stays tucked in. Mine has faded beautifully, much like an original.

mash1.jpg
MASH2.jpg