• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrating the truly ugly

Yardstick

I've just finished a an embroidered version of the 57th Troop Carrier Sq patch. As the original patch was so poorly executed, I went back to the original artwork for my reference material. However, this got me thinking about how plain fugly some of the original patches were. I'm not knocking the originals, they were sometimes created in the field, using what materials and artistic 'talent' was available but I thought it might be interesting to celebrate some of the true bad patches and give them a few moments in the spotlight.

I'll start with the aforementioned 57th TCS, original artwork and a truly horrible embroidered patch. Whilst the bottom half of the embroidered version is perfectly fine, I have no idea what happened with the faces, nor why the soldier now appears to be wearing a beret.
Image4.jpg

Next we have to have the classic multipiece 14th AAF/CATF flying tiger. Decal on the left and with a great example of a multipiece leather patch on the right. Have to say I love this interpretation of the design, which is so common, it may have been a stylistic choice.
Image2.jpg

Sticking with the theme of big cats, next is the 59th FS. Original embroidered patch on the left, multipiece leather on the right. Not bad as a composition but anatomy was clearly not the artist's strength.
Image1.jpg

Next are the 395th BS and 492nd BS. As I don't have examples of the original artwork, I'm not sure if these are just really badly executed or simply ugly designs. I think the animal on the left is some sort of weird camel/cat hybrid but can't be certain.
Image5.jpg

Finally are two of my all time favourites - 724th BS and 341st BS. From a technical standpoint both are well executed, Italian-made incised leather patches but from an anatomical standpoint they are horrendous. I don't know what is going on with the 'mouse' on the left and the melted wax monster on the right is meant to be Dopey from Disney's Snow White!
Image3.jpg

I'd be interested to see if others have any pics of similarly fugly original patches to share.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Your ability to replicate these detailed originals is peerless.

Amazing work.... the detail in your posts always impresses me. Thank you!

Appreciate ya!