• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBI SHOULDER PATCHES VERS II

A

Anonymous

On a previous thread cheaterome commented that a lot of CBI theater patches shoulder type were thin and reversed showing suede side of leather ,and I have to agree with him .I have made a new version of the CBI shield with suede side up with thin leather and original pattern I made is on the right fo comparrision .The patch measures 3 1/8" x 2 1/2" and believe it or not this patch is as difficult to make as some of my squadron patches ,the difficulty is in the cutting of the stars and the sun ,try some time and you will see what I mean .

008-4.jpg

All the best Jeff

442RCT

DUBOWA2 said:
On a previous thread cheaterome commented that a lot of CBI theater patches shoulder type were thin and reversed showing suede side of leather ,and I have to agree with him .I have made a new version of the CBI shield with suede side up with thin leather and original pattern I made is on the right fo comparrision .The patch measures 3 1/8" x 2 1/2" and believe it or not this patch is as difficult to make as some of my squadron patches ,the difficulty is in the cutting of the stars and the sun ,try some time and you will see what I mean .

All the best Jeff

Just painting the 17 point sun is difficult enough, much less cutting and sewing one onto a patch. Nice work, between the two CBIs, I prefer the one with the shiny side up. :D

So when you gonna try making a 48 star US flag ?

A

Anonymous

Hi JAY I tried making the 48 star flag and it was a disaster ,48 stars punched out of a piece of blue leather 4" x 2 using a wood chisel ,exacto knife and a scalpel .Its on the back burner to think about by the way your patches are on the way to you .

All the best Jeff

shedonwanna

DUBOWA2 said:
Hi JAY I tried making the 48 star flag and it was a disaster ,48 stars punched out of a piece of blue leather 4" x 2 using a wood chisel ,exacto knife and a scalpel .Its on the back burner to think about by the way your patches are on the way to you .

All the best Jeff

check out some of the scrapbook sites for a star punch. if you want to spend a little more have a punch die made. also, tandy makes some stamping tools that can be used to make a star. i've used some of tandy's tools for small incised usa flags but the larger chit sized flags need something larger like the star punch. it takes a steady hand and a sharp pointed exacto blade but it can be done without a fancy tool.

https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/68053-00.aspx?feature=Product_5&kw=star

chitsd.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the info an encouragement regarding the 48 stars ,I have made a blood chit with the star flag but my kanji was not as neat as yours .I have since thrown it away as I was not happy with it ,I should try and make another one this time I will do the kanji first and if it comes out good finish the rest of the chit .

All the best Jeff

442RCT

DUBOWA2 said:

All the best Jeff

Hey Jeff, I was thinking along the lines of a flag more of the size of a blood chit for the back of an A-2 rather than a shoulder patch, perhaps 7"x9".
A shoulder patch flag would would be easier as an embossed and painted flag, like this example, even though it has too many stars:
51embossedflag.jpg

I'm eagerly awaiting the patches, I have 2 or 3 "Blank" A-2s that I plan to patch up and/or paint up. Since all three of the patches I requested were from the CBI theatre, I know what'll be on the shoulders, either bullion or leather. Either the ATC or ICWATC patch will have a post AVG blood chit on the back and I'll probably do a pin-up on the back of another one, maybe using a blood chit in the background.

lazar

008-4.jpg

Hi Jeff, I also like the shiny version more.
Your patches are really beautyfull! And you centered the circle perfect in the hole! Your topstiching is amazing!

Do you glue the parts before stiching? And do you stich by machine using the righthand wheel (I don´t know the english word for the wheel that is on the right side of the sewing mashine, and in another thread you showed a handgrip mounted onto it) to move the needle and stich or do you stich parts by hand?

Your the best! And your constant updates and new patches are IMHO a great part of this forum!

Mathias

Chris217

Trust me, the photos don't do Jeff's patches justice. Wait till you handle one in the flesh. There absolutely stunning!

A

Anonymous

lazar said:
008-4.jpg

Hi Jeff, I also like the shiny version more.
Your patches are really beautyfull! And you centered the circle perfect in the hole! Your topstiching is amazing!

Do you glue the parts before stiching? And do you stich by machine using the righthand wheel (I don´t know the english word for the wheel that is on the right side of the sewing mashine, and in another thread you showed a handgrip mounted onto it) to move the needle and stich or do you stich parts by hand?

Your the best! And your constant updates and new patches are IMHO a great part of this forum!

Mathias
Hi Mathias thanks for your comments ,re the patches I do glue them before sewing and leave them overnight to set .When trying to sew two pieces together unglued the sewing machine shifts the piece out of position .I use an 50 year old sewing machine made in Italy without a motor and I cycle the action by hand using the handwheel ,the pressure foot is modified smaller so I can see where I am going .I am self taught and facinated by theater leather patches of the CBI ,most European patches are chenile or wool and are of high quality reproductions of the squadron insignia .The CBI patches were made by sewing houses or tailors in India from sketches from the crews and to me it is a sort of folk art ,some were very good some not so good but I like them all .Mathias PM me your address I will sent you a CBI patch ,by the way I like that Mariner jacket you got from Aero ,you should pick up one of those Russian sailors blue and white striped under shirts to wear under it that would look cool .

Best regards Jeff .

A

Anonymous

Chris217 said:
Trust me, the photos don't do Jeff's patches justice. Wait till you handle one in the flesh. There absolutely stunning!

Thanks Chris you are to kind ,bye the way you package is on the way to you and check you PM .I wanted to ask you did you have a relative in the 75TH fs in WW2 .

All the best Jeff

Chris217

DUBOWA2 said:
Chris217 said:

Thanks Chris you are to kind ,bye the way you package is on the way to you and check you PM .I wanted to ask you did you have a relative in the 75TH fs in WW2 .

All the best Jeff

Actually, my grandfather was a Lead Bombardier in the 486th Bomb Group, 833rd Bomb Squadron, 8th Air Force. He flew 30 missions over Europe from March 44 to October 44, and then became the assistant group Bombardier from October 44 to February 45.
Here's his B-24 "Superstitous Aloyisius."
SUPERSTITIOUSALOYSIUS.jpg

SupAl03-1.jpg

Rivers01-1.jpg

Andrew

Chris, are you doing a tribute jacket for your GF? If so please post some shots of the patched jacket when it's done...