• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBI/AVG Blood Chits

Shropshire-lad

Does anyone out there know where or who does good, accurate ‘silk’ blood chit’s? Fleabay has some but I’m not 100% confident they’re that good? Any opinions? All info gratefully read!!
Cheers!
Jim

Shropshire-lad

Yes! Thanks Ken - I had looked arpund the Aero site and not spotted they still did them. The last pair I had, that went when I sold the jacket, were perfect. Not only good pockets but also - I found my Levis jeans rivets played havoc with the rayon lining.... the blood chits fixed that issue in a great authentic way.
Many thanks
Jim

Shropshire-lad

One other question..... I have a copy of Maguire and Conways ‘American Flight Jacket’ but cannot find any photo evidence that USN m422a jackets would have been adorned with blood chits? Does anyone out there know if they actually did or other wise?
Cheers
Jim

Pilot

not on M-422 or similar... but nice shots anyway.

F374594B-0CD9-42D8-9713-2C94B4A091B9.jpeg
27B9C9BB-D220-4175-8B57-317B65E094FF.jpeg
3080F503-B4B7-464C-B754-1C9575E4A9EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Cocker

Pilots usualy preferred to sew them INSIDE the jacket as it could also serve as and inside pocket. Moreover, the spun silk wouldn't have survived for a long time on the back of a jacket worn in flight...

Bombing IP

Also when shot down it was like a target on your back when trying to evade capture .So they were sewn on the inside .One of the things written on the chit was I am an enemy of the Japanese ,best kept hidden from the Japs after capture .Both Japanese and Chinese can read the kanji characters written on the Chit .

BIP

Ken at Aero Leather

One other question..... I have a copy of Maguire and Conways ‘American Flight Jacket’ but cannot find any photo evidence that USN m422a jackets would have been adorned with blood chits? Does anyone out there know if they actually did or other wise?
Cheers
Jim

The majority of AVG Pilots wore USN Jackets, many of those had blood chits fitted to thier jackets both inside and outside

Shropshire-lad

Wow.... both great jackets! I was thinking of using the chits as pockets on the inside, where there would be likely, as has happened before, to be wear from rivets on jeans....Rayon does not seem that tough, well - from ELC anyway. I’ve previously had a G1 and am M422a of theirs and both went through the lining. QUICKLY!!

Ken at Aero Leather

These originated during WW1 and the time were known as "Ghoulie" Chits and were issued to help prevent Afghan women doing a "Lorena Bobbitt" on an off piste "friend" rather than a foe

Last edited: