• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cats Paw soles, heels and boot repair

stanier

Does anyone know of a boot repair service in the UK that can repair to a high standard using Cats Paw white dot sole and heel units?

Even if I have to source the replacement parts?

I’ve found places in the US and Japan but after sending to them and shipping back plus customs etc it feels easier and cheaper to just buy new boots so I’ve ended up with a small number of pairs of boots that just need repairing to be as good as new.

Cheers all and happy Christmas!

gav

I have a pair of shell cordovan Alden’s with this chap right now: http://www.felixjouanneau.com/
Not much info on his site but I am pretty hopeful. I visited his workshop in east London and he makes bespoke custom boots as well as repairs.
Custom lasts, Hand welting etc, dr sole and Vibram soles. If you can find cats paws, he will be able to do them justice I’m sure.
I’ll update when my Alden resole/ rebuild is done.

gav

I’m picking my Alden cigar shell Indy boots up on Tuesday. These were rewelted and resoled.

The original Alden welt was pretty sloppy if I’m honest so I was keen to get them done better when the time for resole came.

Felix hand welted them so that should be a great improvement. I also asked for a thin rubber half sole and heel for a bit of longevity over leather.

Looks promising.

Attachments

• 4BB94B79-D9E5-4904-A80C-B605A816FA47.jpeg
    4BB94B79-D9E5-4904-A80C-B605A816FA47.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 531
  • 9037BE19-F1AF-4FCF-87F0-A07EBBD8D5A1.jpeg
    9037BE19-F1AF-4FCF-87F0-A07EBBD8D5A1.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 523

gav

Completely happy with the work - Much better welt stitching than the original Alden welt. The only cats paws I have are on my Toys McCoy boots - I'm not that bothered to hunt for them for other boots . Dr Sole are good enough for me.
26750013688_4e31656b96_z.jpg

26750013438_aa000fb4b1_z.jpg

Cobblers161

That's a beautiful job, they look stunning.

I've a pair of Chromexcel Indy's and some Alden Roy boots in need of treatment, as you mentioned the Alden welts are shoddy particularly on the Roy's.

How much does Felix charge if you don't mind me asking?

gav

A standard resole using the original welt is I think around £100 with dr sole.
This rebuild - including new hand stitched welt, double leather sole and rubber 1/2 sole and heel was £180.

stanier

It looks like Felix does an extremely good job. When I get hold of some Cats Paw sole and heel units I may we’ll be getting him to do the job.

I emailed American Biltrite about 3 months ago enquiring about getting hold of some Cats Paw units even if a it meant buying a big carton full (and possibley selling some on) but I’ve had zero reply. I will be giving them a call at some point.

gav

I’ve used wijsman for a pair of Russell moccasin. They were great too.
Felix is just 10 minutes from my office though, no shipping and I can explain face to face what I want - I think he will be my go to cobbler now.
Might be interested in some cats paw units if you need to sell some @stanier

Andy8181

Just come across this thread and thought I'd add my two pennies worth. Stainer, I contacted American Biltrite a few years back and they forwarded me to Labellesupply. I got some Biltrite half soles from them and they supply Cat's Paw Heels, among other things. The shipping was pricy and I seem to remember being stung with import fees.

Steve27752

Just come across this thread and thought I'd add my two pennies worth. Stainer, I contacted American Biltrite a few years back and they forwarded me to Labellesupply. I got some Biltrite half soles from them and they supply Cat's Paw Heels, among other things. The shipping was pricy and I seem to remember being stung with import fees.
And you are? By way of an introduction, why not post a bit about yourself here.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/member-bios.21/

stanier

I never even got that far! I must have tried to contact Biltrite via their website/ email at least 12 times now and absolutely zilch nothing by way of reply. Thank for the heads up on Labellesupply. They seem to have Cats Paw heels as you say and I may get some. Couldn’t see any Cats Paw half soles though.

I’m actually having my pair of Lone Wolf engineer boots resoled by Brian at Role Club in LA currently and I believe they’re on their way back to me right now.

I’ve also ordered a pair of his horsehide made to measure engineer’s made on his 1940 last.

One of the things I like with Role Cub besides the craftsmanship is the very cool half soles and heel units which are obviously Cats Paw inspired. And I hope harder wearing!

Lost of folk seem to use the Dr Sole Brand which doesn’t look close enough to me.

Andy8181

American-Biltrite weren't particularly helpful, I think it was just luck someone got back to me. To be honest your better off just looking on eBay. The majority of stuff Ive got has been from there, tons of heels and sometimes soles.

Cool your getting some RoleClub treads. The horsehide service boots are something I would love to have but well out of my price range at the moment. I got some of his soles on my jump boots as it goes. And Dr Sole on my work boots. Bloody love it!

stanier

Nice work..... !
Would you say his work is fairly reasonably priced?

Hi B-Man2, for me I think Brian’s work and craftsmanship is without doubt reasonably priced. But, as with high end A-2’s and the best selvedge denim, the real value is only going to be appreciated by the true enthusiast.

I had my boots re-lasted on a 1940’s last and completely rebuilt soles and heels. This cost me $400 and I’m very, very, very pleased. And I waited 2 months. I have on order a pair of handmade Role Club boots and Brian personally makes every pair only to measure. They will cost me $1200 and the wait is until May 2020. For me that’s a bargain and the quality and attention to detail is without compare.

To some these numbers will seem eye watering I have no doubt. And they’re certainly not cheap. But, if you want no compromise vintage copy product and nothing else will do, then Brian is one of the very small options in town.

And let’s not forget new engineer boots of this standard are at an absolute minimum $600 plus and they won’t be to Brian’s quality, trust me.

I totally get that some are happy in less costly footwear, but I crave vintage accuracy and these boots are it for me.

Cheers

Chris