• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATCH-22" SERIES PROP EASTMAN ROUGH WEAR A-2 JACKET

taikonaut

Saw this yesterday. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but the epaulettes appears to have come away were it meets the shoulders.
Since no cast name is assigned it looks like a spare that not made it to screen. I guess production need to recoup any money they spent.

Happy Hooligan

I wonder who #13 is? if it was used by an actor, that characters name would be on it. Still interesting. And seeing a lot of film clothing, the studio usually has its own tag glued on the clothing with a bar code. This jacket might be some sort of special purchase for the film, but not actually used on the film.

Edward

nice! too bad they didn't identify who wore it. I was watching the behind the scenes of The Memphis Belle and the director wore an A-2 and officer's cap during filming. perhaps this was also used by crew or perhaps an extra. At least the seller didn't jack up the price above its actual value.
I'm going to put the pics and description here for posterity incase it comes back around again.

AAF WW2 "CATCH-22" SERIES PROP EASTMAN ROUGH WEAR A-2 FLIGHT JACKET
Hulu's "Catch-22" is set to premiere on May 17, 2019, starring George Clooney, Kyle Chandler, Hugh Laurie, and Christophe Abbott in the adaptation of Joseph Heller's war satire, centering around an AAF B-25 "Mitchell" bomb group operating in the Mediterranean. The famous Eastman Leather Clothing Company of Devon, England provided their beautifully made reproduction horsehide leather A-2 flight jackets for the series. This US Army AAF WW2 "CATCH-22" SERIES PROP EASTMAN ROUGH WEAR A-2 FLIGHT JACKET is in near mint condition, with only a small spot of dark soiling evident at the upper right back lining (ALL pictured). Otherwise, the jacket is in near mint shape, with absolutely no rips, holes, tears, or other damage to the rich, tough "seal" brown horsehide leather construction. Most interestingly, it's a Size 40, bears the painted leather patch of the 340th Bomb Group sewn at the left chest, and carries the "CATCH 22 / No. 13 / Paramount / EASTMAN CLOTHING LTD." studio tag inside the lower left front pocket. It features a snap down collar, metal "hook and eye" neck closure, "box and X" stitched leather shoulder straps, one way entry snap flap closure lower front pockets, a fully functional "TALON" metal front zipper, brown knit cuffs and waistband, a spun brown cotton lining, and brown finished brass ventilation grommets at the underarms, boasts the classic "TYPE A-2 / ROUGH WEAR CLOTHING CO" replica nomenclature label at the inside neck, and sports the traditional "winged star" outline stamping of the "ARMY AIR FORCES" at the upper back lining and the underside of the middle front placket. A beautiful example of a US Army AAF WW2 "CATCH-22" SERIES PROP EASTMAN ROUGH WEAR A-2 FLIGHT JACKET. We have shown a still of Kyle Chandler from the trailer of the upcoming series "Catch-22" wearing a nearly identical A-2 flight jacket.

s-l1600-1.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
s-l1600-9.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 229

taikonaut

I wonder who #13 is? if it was used by an actor, that characters name would be on it. Still interesting. And seeing a lot of film clothing, the studio usually has its own tag glued on the clothing with a bar code. This jacket might be some sort of special purchase for the film, but not actually used on the film.

George Clooney was originally to take on the role of Colonel Cathcart who wore this type of bomber command A2 jacket. He later dropped out to play General Scheisskopf. I doubt this jacket was intended for Clooney since he is a 42" chest and likewise Kyle Chandler who eventually took up the role of Cathcart. However I doubt the decision to cast an actor in the role of Colonel Cathcart has to be of a particular chest size so it may just be a possibility they screen tested different actors to replace Clooney so different size jackets being used and this could be one of those jackets. There is a Clooney one out there somewhere but I could see him keeping it himself.
Its just my theory;)

Brettafett

I read somewhere recently that Clooney specifically did not want a leather "A-2" jacket. It was too hot for him or something...

Brettafett

Don't know, but he's the boss... Funny that, changing roles because of dress code.
I can't be sure, and can't recall where I read that, but I think it was filming during the day in Sardinia was too bloody warm for leather jackets or something.

This is my first post on the forum. I joined to add to the Catch 22 jacket discussion. I recently purchased my first Eastman A-2 model 23373 and it is also one of the Catch 22 jackets; confirmed by Rob Brace of ELC. I purchased it from the same seller that listed / sold the jacket above. The seller confirmed that both jackets were purchased from a vintage clothing store in Los Angeles, CA. The seller purchased mine several months ago and the one above was purchased more recently. I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago on eBay. Last week the jacket posted above was listed. My jacket doesn’t have the Paramount tag in the pocket but it is numbered inside the sleeve. This numbering is how Rob authenticated the jacket. Since there was no obvious tag referencing the Catch 22 production my jacket wasn’t sold as a Catch 22 jacket. I don’t believe the seller knew it was from the production thus, my jacket was sold as a used Eastman. Per Rob, all Catch 22 jackets were “Time Worn” at Eastman. My jacket was clearly worn during the production. There are indentation lines on the back and sides of the collar leading me to believe that it was worn in scenes where the flotation vest and additional flight gear were worn over top of the jackets. You’ll see this in the trailer. In addition, further aging appears to have been done on set to my jacket as there are stitch lines on several parts of the jacket that appear to have been sanded through then waxed over. Two tiny holes are also present on the left breast where something (wings?) was pinned through the jacket. Finally, there is either movie makeup soiling or staining purposefully added inside the collar. The jacket still smells brand new and wears stiff, it just looks old and worn in. Perfect in my opinion. I can’t wait to watch the series to see if I can identify who wore it.

First three images are from original listing.

47160201df0768894528e67a92ac6814.jpg

eea79c3a94130f0f07a45f7df0aee6a6.jpg

9f3df3fc0df65bc77f21f9c651245b8c.jpg

70379d5d93a83e54ca3dfc36d42752a5.jpg

3502201be536d30486b88b03292bf0dd.jpg

ff8f9e5ebd01e35648bb1964276d8889.jpg

4d6478a14e315b65046210e67ffd46cc.jpg

09a115921885ff915e83db39a00001a7.jpg

c63a9b9f1729238229c80108c62aa90e.jpg

67807da34d55f87f789b95133c647c93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Man2

This is my first post on the forum. I joined to add to the Catch 22 jacket discussion. I recently purchased my first Eastman A-2 model 23373 and it is also one of the Catch 22 jackets; confirmed by Rob Brace of ELC. I purchased it from the same seller that listed / sold the jacket above. The seller confirmed that both jackets were purchased from a vintage clothing store in Los Angeles, CA. The seller purchased mine several months ago and the one above was purchased more recently. I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago on eBay. Last week the jacket posted above was listed. My jacket doesn’t have the Paramount tag in the pocket but it is numbered inside the sleeve. This numbering is how Rob authenticated the jacket. Since there was no obvious tag referencing the Catch 22 production my jacket wasn’t sold as a Catch 22 jacket. I don’t believe the seller knew it was from the production thus, my jacket was sold as a used Eastman. Per Rob, all Catch 22 jackets were “Time Worn” at Eastman. My jacket was clearly worn during the production. There are indentation lines on the back and sides of the collar leading me to believe that it was worn in scenes where the flotation vest and additional flight gear were worn over top of the jackets. You’ll see this in the trailer. In addition, further aging appears to have been done on set to my jacket as there are stitch lines on several parts of the jacket that appear to have been sanded through then waxed over. Two tiny holes are also present on the left breast where something (wings?) was pinned through the jacket. Finally, there is either movie makeup soiling or staining purposefully added inside the collar. The jacket still smells brand new and wears stiff, it just looks old and worn in. Perfect in my opinion. I can’t wait to watch the series to see if I can identify who wore it.

First three images are from original listing.

47160201df0768894528e67a92ac6814.jpg

eea79c3a94130f0f07a45f7df0aee6a6.jpg

9f3df3fc0df65bc77f21f9c651245b8c.jpg

70379d5d93a83e54ca3dfc36d42752a5.jpg

3502201be536d30486b88b03292bf0dd.jpg

ff8f9e5ebd01e35648bb1964276d8889.jpg

4d6478a14e315b65046210e67ffd46cc.jpg

09a115921885ff915e83db39a00001a7.jpg

c63a9b9f1729238229c80108c62aa90e.jpg

67807da34d55f87f789b95133c647c93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great Looking Jacket, but does it have any documented provenance or labeling or markings like the jacket posted above ?
Unfortunately if you don't have some additional documented history or labeling or markings to go along with the story from the seller, its going to be just another Eastman.
The fact that the same seller sold both jackets is helpful but it still won't mean much when the story comes from you and not him.
Not knocking your jacket....just explaining to you the realities of this hobby.

Steve27752

Great Looking Jacket, but does it have any documented provenance or labeling or markings like the jacket posted above ?
Unfortunately if you don't have some additional documented history or labeling or markings to go along with the story from the seller, its going to be just another Eastman.
The fact that the same seller sold both jackets is helpful but it still won't mean much when the story comes from you and not him.
Not knocking your jacket....just explaining to you the realities of this hobby.
But it has been authenticated by Rob at ELC.