• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canvas Squadron Patches

FlakMagnet

Hello, gents.

Does anyone have any examples (original or reproduction) of USAAF squadron patches done/painted on canvas? Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Surfer

there's a guy on eb that always has them. most were made by max berman studios, for Rko or Disney. some were actually made in the Disney studios. for the most part, they weren't very accurate as per issued, or in country, or made in Italy, the uk, etc. plenty of them are still around,, which tells me they were originally made by the shit load. not sure on this, but I seem to remember that they were made for kids in support of the war effort, and for bond drives. also,, some may have been made post wwll

Yardstick

Here a few originals. Some painted but silk screen printing seems to have been more common for the ones in my image library. Bizarrely a lot of the silk screened versions are 9th AAF B-26 units but I believe the patches are US made not sourced in theatre.

Image1.jpg

caddyd

The original 488th squadron patch drawn by Alex Raymond. The girl is Dale Arden, Flash Gorden's girlfriend in the comic strip and used as the movie prop in "Catch 22"

Attachments

• Catch-22-Movie-Squadron-Patch-from-the-Original-1970.jpg
    Catch-22-Movie-Squadron-Patch-from-the-Original-1970.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 59
  • s-l500 (3).jpg
    s-l500 (3).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 54