• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you give your opinion about this a-2 jacket?

hc0088

Found this jacket at japanese website and want to know your opinions guys! It's avirex horsehide and cost about $118

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 138
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 132

hc0088

For horsehide, it's hard to go wrong at $118. There's way better repros out there these days, but none at that price point. And if nothing else, this jacket would be useful for helping to nail down measurements.
Hmm.. I thought it's attractive because of its price..

B-Man2

Agree with Mulceber. If period accuracy isn’t an issue for you and the jacket is your size, then grab it. At $118.00, Horsehide A2’s are far and few apart. A few of us here already know that when you walk down the street wearing this A2 jacket about 99 % of the people you pass won’t know the different between this jacket, a Good Wear jacket or an original . The remaining 1 % who would know….. would most likely be one of us. So if you like the jacket buy it and wear the piss out of it . ;)

hc0088

Agree with Mulceber. If period accuracy isn’t an issue for you and the jacket is your size, then grab it. At $118.00, Horsehide A2’s are far and few apart. A few of us here already know that when you walk down the street wearing this A2 jacket about 99 % of the people you pass won’t know the different between this jacket, a Good Wear jacket or an original . The remaining 1 % who would know….. would most likely be one of us. So if you like the jacket buy it and wear the piss out of it . ;)
Even if there's some damages, is it too cheap?

B-Man2

Even if there's some damages, is it
I guess it depends on the extent of the damage and where it’s located. Just to continue the conversation I have a few high repro A2 jackets and a few not so high end ones but …… one of my favorites is an early Horsehide Avirex A2. The reason being is that many of us here started this hobby owning what at the time was the only jacket you could find that resembled a war time A2. Back in the late 1970s Avirex was probably the only repro available and they have a history in this hobby. I like the one I own and it fits well .
Here’s a few pictures of it .
7D04A168-9F09-49AF-ABE2-19A1D552E4B6.jpeg
F380578F-5EA4-476C-A2F1-B1BF76A15BEB.jpeg

hc0088

I guess it depends on the extent of the damage and where it’s located. Just to continue the conversation I have a few high repro A2 jackets and a few not so high end ones but …… one of my favorites is an early Horsehide Avirex A2. The reason being is that many of us here started this hobby owning what at the time was the only jacket you could find that resembled a war time A2. Back in the late 1970s Avirex was probably the only repro available and they have a history in this hobby. I like the one I own and it fits well .
Here’s a few pictures of it . View attachment 82798View attachment 82799
same avirex, but looks way cooler.. Now i realize collecting jackets is really hard hobby. (finding nice and satisfying ones)

Brettafett

The advice above is sound.
Just be aware, with any secondhand jacket, check details before buying. A jacket may be cheap (and good deals can be found with patience), but if you have to give it a professional clean, replace knits, zippers or anything else, the costs add up quickly.
Another idea is to look at a new AVI LTHR Bronco or M-422a, or 5*
You might pay a bit more out the gate, but it will be a 'new' jacket and 'relatively speaking' based on original jacket patterns and detailing.
As Jan says, a great way to work out your preferred fit, etc

Brettafett

I actually had the more recent Cockpit (formerly Avirex) WWII Government Seall HH version. Was a well made, sturdy jacket.
It was a size 36 (Cockpits A-2s are notoriously over-seized, not sure about the older Avirex jackets) and I normally wear a 40 or 42.
That jacket above is a 46! Make sure you check measurements carefully.

hc0088

I actually had the more recent Cockpit (formerly Avirex) WWII Government Seall HH version. Was a well made, sturdy jacket.
It was a size 36 (Cockpits A-2s are notoriously over-seized, not sure about the older Avirex jackets) and I normally wear a 40 or 42.
That jacket above is a 46! Make sure you check measurements carefully.
Thanks for the advice!