• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you bear it? The GW Dubow traveller...

Wholenineyards

Going through boxes last week I found the little guy again. Once free he wanted an A-2 for himself. Marveled at the GW Dubow in size 46. Awesome horsehide with a great "waxy" feel. But I must wear it more, to start the molding process. Let me ask, though, do you also see seal with a reddish hue?
20200424_173733.jpg

20200424_173830.jpg

20200422_211404.jpg

20200425_104748.jpg

Cheers, Markus

Wholenineyards

Great jacket! Absolutely a red hue. What production year is this?

Brian
Brian, JC has offered it to me around 2012, it was done for another customer, returned due to sizing. He was wondering if I was interested. It fit me, as I thought, and I couldn't stop grabbing the leather. As I have mentioned above, it has a wonderful waxiness to it. So, I would think, production in 2010/ 2011? Sorry that I am unable to be more specific. Markus

B-Man2

I would agree with Mikey on the Russet color. It may have a light reddish tone but definitely a Russet base color. You can see the why I say this when you compare your jacket to this GW
Acme 21996 that John made with Russet horsehide and over coated with a light coat of seal color so the russet will eventually bleed through it with time and wear. Definitely has a much more red color.

B0BDDDB2-CFA1-45B8-ADBD-09979D44A184.jpeg

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

Roger, that looks and sounds convincing. And I am the last guy to claim to know what seal and russet actually are. The jackets look great. Do you think there is a seal coating on mine, too?

B-Man2

Im pretty much in the same boat as you are. I know just enough about their construction to embarrass myself . However , always glad to share what little I do know, so here goes.
Russet seems to cover a wide range of colors. There’s light russet, medium russet, deep russet and dark russet, plus a few russets in between. The russet jackets that were re-dyed with a seal colored over lay were often done with a quick light coat and after the jacket was worn for a while the russet started to bleed through giving the jacket a reddish looking color. One contract in particular that did that was the Aero 21996 contract . If you look around on VLJ I remember someone posted pictures of a beautiful original 21996 that had done just that. Now to answer your question about the top coat on your GW. Because of the different number russets that existed, I don’t know if yours was coated with a seal over lay.
Sorry ...

Last edited:

Wholenineyards

Im pretty much in the same boat as you are. I know just enough about their construction to embarrass myself . However , always glad to share what little I do know, so here goes.
Russet seems to cover a wide range of colors. There’s light russet, medium russet, deep russet and dark russet, plus a few russets in between. The russet jackets that were re-dyed with a seal colored over lay were often done with a quick light coat and after the jacket was worn for a while the russet started to bleed through giving the jacket a reddish looking color. One contract in particular that did that was the Aero 21996 contract . If you look around on VLJ I remember someone posted pictures of a beautiful original 21996 that had done just that. Now to answer your question about the top coat on your GW. Because of the different number russets that existed, I don’t know if yours was coated with a seal over lay.
Sorry ...
Well done. You have prompted me to go look for every jacket I can find at this place to compare colours... hours on hours... jeez. Thanks for the input, though!

ausreenactor

Dude, call me a hoarder, but I have not managed to ever get rid of one of the jackets, except one of my first low grade shitassed replica A-2s that got stolen from my car way long ago.

I am down to half a dozen or so A-2s. Used to have every ELC contract and a house A-2. Have moved them on as better ones came along. Have moved on three Good Wears, a couple of RMNZ, half a dozen or so ELCs (including a 1401P with original crown that had the best russet hide EVER :( ) and a couple of BKs.

In 2008-09 I moved nearly $30K worth of kit on eBay. Until the tax man warned me... 40 odd jackets and a car. Still have plenty, don't get me wrong.. Tend to just keep the rare ones and the versions I will never replace. I figure I can buy a standard, second hand A-2 at any time. Quality jackets with art, stellar hides or finishes they are the keepers..

Wholenineyards

I am down to half a dozen or so A-2s. Used to have every ELC contract and a house A-2. Have moved them on as better ones came along. Have moved on three Good Wears, a couple of RMNZ, half a dozen or so ELCs (including a 1401P with original crown that had the best russet hide EVER :( ) and a couple of BKs.

In 2008-09 I moved nearly $30K worth of kit on eBay. Until the tax man warned me... 40 odd jackets and a car. Still have plenty, don't get me wrong.. Tend to just keep the rare ones and the versions I will never replace. I figure I can buy a standard, second hand A-2 at any time. Quality jackets with art, stellar hides or finishes they are the keepers..
Jeez, I call that enterprising, .., I plan to wear all the jackets on a rotational basis, weather allowing... well, except for the three months of high summer we’re actually doing really good with at least cloth, nylon or light leather... to have to make a choice is really the challenge, but usually I grab something and I am happy with it for the day. I’ll have to wear organizational clothing like yourself so my jackets get to see the light of day only in transit to and fro work. Oh well, though jacket life... I should have collected postage stamps... then again, they would only look half as decent on me, and I’d be freezing in winter...

Heisenberg

Sorry ...

My GW J.A .Dubow 20960 is a perfect example of a " russet/red " jacket :

AFE2FE5D-2934-4343-8D3C-A406070342C4.jpeg
A9770E9C-16F8-4621-9C49-398F50DB5ED3.jpeg
A9318CBA-0B40-4D25-8899-8A6601983DE5.jpeg