• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me about this Flying Equipment Company G-1 with A-2 Label?

Fish70

Greetings. I searched the site (and the rest of the internet) for info on Flying Equipment Co flight jackets and if I understand correctly they were sold on the commercial market in the 1950's and possibly made by Star Sportswear.

I just purchased one that is in remarkable condition if it really is that old. Externally it looks like a late 1969-early 1970 Star Sportswear G-1 with a Dynal collar.

There is a WPL tag in my jacket which indicates that the jacket was made before 1959

"WPL numbers were issued from 1941 through 1959 under the Wool Products Labeling Act. WPL numbers begin at 00101 and end at 13669. All numbers issued subsequently are RN numbers."

https://www.ebay.com/gds/Clothing-Labels-RN-and-WPL-and-CA-/10000000003229985/g.html

There is also a "Made in USA" tag in the jacket as well as the incorrect A-2 labeling. I wonder if these things were sitting around in a warehouse for 30 years then found, relabeled, and sold?

I apologize if I missed anything in my site search but would love more information about this jacket if anyone has it. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 473
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    809.5 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    968.8 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    807.7 KB · Views: 313

Ken at Aero Leather

We had a jacket made by this firm through our hands quite recently, also mint but correctly labelled as a (post war but pre G1) USN jacket, I forget the actual des. number.
At first we thought it was deadstock, something fairly obvious gave it away as recent, I really can't remember what that was, not the care labelling, there was none. I think it went for a couple of hundred in one of our sales

Fish70

We had a jacket made by this firm through our hands quite recently, also mint but correctly labelled as a (post war but pre G1) USN jacket, I forget the actual des. number.
At first we thought it was deadstock, something fairly obvious gave it away as recent, I really can't remember what that was, not the care labelling, there was none. I think it went for a couple of hundred in one of our sales

Thanks for the quick response Ken. I have seen some old posts concerning the sale of a few of the company's G-1s at the Good Wear Leather Coat Company's site and that is about it. I am just happy it fits. I got it for almost nothing. I think the incorrect labeling kept people from bidding on it which was good for me. I just need to drop five pounds so it fits a little better :)

Fish70

It does look too new to be a pre-1960 jacket but it does have the pre-1958 WPA label and the dry-clean only tag looks like at least a 1960's item. For what I paid for it I don't care much :D

Fish70

I paid $59.95 for it so I don't feel foolish. I was pretty sure it wasn't from Flying Equipment Company when I bid on it since it has an A-2 tag in it instead of G-1. I just took a closer look and there are four elastic bands between the liner and the leather. That makes me think 1980s like Eastwood stated more than anything else. Thanks for everyone's help!

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 273

Juanito

I saw that on eBay. There are a number of odd things about this jacket, but the thing that got me regarding the age was the "Made in U.S. A." label in the stitching for the incorrect tag.

I have owned and handled and owned a number of the Flying Equipment Co. G-1s and I have never seen one that looks like this. Most I have see have had the bluish/greenish tint to the liner. That's not to say they are not excellent jackets and I like their one off nature, but my bet is this isn't one of thise from the 1950s and as far as I know they are no longer produced.

Last edited:

Fish70

Yeah, like I said, I figured the weirdness would keep bidders away so and I didn't feel bad about bidding $60 for it. I have seen photos of those old bluish liners in the real Flying Equipment Co jackets. The liner in this one is identical to the brown one in the 1970 Star Sportswear G-1 I had for a while. Same cut to the pocket flaps and collar too except the pockets weren't even with each other on the military G-1. This one is much nicer. The leather on this jacket is the nicest I've had other than my Vanson Model A so I am tickled with it.

Bombing IP

I think its a great jacket with all the attributes and I also think you did well .If it fits you and you are enjoying it who cares who made it ,being its not super collectors item you can wear the hell out of it and it will get better from this point and you will love it more .

BIP

Brettafett

Yes Fish, this was a good catch. Who cares who made it, it fits great, is in superb condition... And for what you paid!!! Enjoy it.

Ken at Aero Leather

Flying Equipment Co. in Chicago made USN G-1 style and goatskin A-2's jackets from 60's - ?. It's not a fake, nor is it Military issue.

Spot on Grant.......maybe even 70s?........listen to this man, he's a local from The Windy City and he knows his stuff