• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone tell me about this Flying Equipment Company G-1 with A-2 Label?

Fish70

So do issue 1950s-1960s G-1s have the four internal elastic bands attached to the "action back" which are a feature of this jacket that makes me think it was made in the 80s? Thanks again and sorry for beating this horse some more.

ties70

This is my Flying Equipment G-1....looks a little different than the jacket above...

flyingequip.JPG

Ties

Fish70

Ties70, Yep your G-1 looks much older and I am sure it is an authentic Flying Equipment Co jacket. Does it have the elastic bands inside the back? Thanks!

Fish70

I am convinced that Flying Equipment Co or Star Sportswear was still selling jackets into the early 1970's and this is a 1970ish commercial G-1 made by Star Sportswear :) It looks just like a Star Sportswear G-1 after they switched to a synthetic collar and all the tags including the government required WPL tag look original to the jacket (no signs of replacing tags.) It makes no sense for someone 10 years later in the 1980's to try to fake a non-collectible commercial flight jacket. Occam's Razor and all that. Considering that there isn't much info out there about the company I enjoyed the research.

Ken at Aero Leather

So do issue 1950s-1960s G-1s have the four internal elastic bands attached to the "action back" which are a feature of this jacket that makes me think it was made in the 80s? Thanks again and sorry for beating this horse some more.

I don't ever recall any USN jacket with four elastic straps, there is no possible need for more than two, one upsets the bi-swing, two is optimum and all that is necessary, four is bondage

Fish70

Sure. From the old ads for Flying Equipment Co. that I have found in 1950's "Flying" and "Guns" magazines the company makes it sound like they resold surplus military jackets. Maybe they bought Star Sportswear produced jackets and sold them under their own lable?