Can anyone help ID this lovely old leather I Found?

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by AmyWarhol, Aug 18, 2018.

1. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

Hello all - It has been a very long time since I have posted. I found a nice vintage leather bomber style jacket today, but I am puzzled by its details... I am not sure what to call it. I am guessing the age is late 40s / early 50's/ The condition is very good, nice mouton collar, sherpa lined body and lovely chocolate brown cuffs and waist band. The Conmar zipper is great, but that is the ONLY marking I could find!. The pockets have no snaps on the flaps, and the slash pockets have no zippers. They are cloth lined. I feel like this was a higher end jacket in its day; the leather on the inner pocket flaps is darker brown to match the cuffs. Another puzzler is the fabric backing on the bottom of the inside of the shell, rather than sherpa all over... Anyway, this one is a survivor, and I am HOPING I can learn more about it so I can trade it with my buddy for a paint job on my truck! Any input is welcome. https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM5IhqnrXtsFsWg8mK599yFRyesqQEo_iph62kw 39408858_10156663719208308_1116029440636223488_n.jpg

Attached Files:

Edward likes this.
  2. Steve27752

Steve27752 Well-Known Member

A ‘modern’ Mall bomber jacket.

3. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

Commercially produced jacket possibly from 1980s. Nothing collectible, but an everyday wearer .

4. SuinBruin

SuinBruin Well-Known Member

I would say '70s but otherwise concur. (Looks like one of the pocket flaps has been replaced, too.)

5. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

The pocket has not been replaced; it is open to show the darker leather on the interior. From my experience "modern" jackets more often than not had synthetic fabric liners, not actual sheepskin. Thanks for the input everyone!

6. jeremiah

jeremiah Well-Known Member

The pocket may not have been replaced but the pocket flap sure has.

Btw. What size is it?

7. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

Jeremiah - You are SO right! Great eye my friend! Now that detail piques my curiosity even more - why would someone repair an 80's "mall jacket", given our modern tendency to be a throw away society? I have not measured it yet or had any of my guy friends try it on, so the
    size is just a guess at a large. Andy is well, and he looks forward to his next photo shoot.
    39519301_10156665531523308_706462884003053568_n.jpg

8. jeremiah

jeremiah Well-Known Member

Ha. Thanks.

9. Tom Bowers

Tom Bowers Member

I think it's earlier than the other guys think, but that's hard to determine without it in hand

I've seen a million Mall jackets but the wear on this one loo

I like the Conmar zipper and the sheep lining and Mouton collar

The lack of a neck Label is a good sign as most later jackets had neck tags

Probably 1950s

AmyWarhol likes this.
  10. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

Correct, certaintly not later than circa 1960,

AmyWarhol likes this.
  11. Ken at Aero Leather

Give the (new) pocket flap a little work with acetone and fine sandpaper, little spray of furniture polish to finish

12. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Well-Known Member

Penny's (J.C. Penny's) Made a very similar model in the mid 50's early 60's. I have one that was passed down from my grandfather. The one I have has a rayon liner and leather collar but very similar pockets. The jacket is made of Steer Hide.

If that zipper is a Conmar "Conmatic" zip, that would date the jacket from mid 50's to early 60's.

Regards,
    Jay

AmyWarhol likes this.
  13. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

I agree that the jacket appears (to me) no later than 60's. Perhaps the photos are not showing the patina and wear. It is not a "conmatic" zipper; just a regular Conmar with a rectangular pull. Unfortunately, the zipper is missing two teeth...

14. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

Interesting! I will try that! A test piece first...

15. SuinBruin

SuinBruin Well-Known Member

o_O

16. Technonut2112

Technonut2112 Well-Known Member

McGregor made similar jackets, some with Conmar zips in the late 40's / mid 50's...

EDIT: Grais leather jackets from the same time period comes to mind as well.... Here's a pic of one from the 50's with similar pockets:

il_570xN.1338218908_4q9d.jpg

Conmar zip as well:

il_570xN.1385491735_7x0l.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    AmyWarhol likes this.
  17. AmyWarhol

AmyWarhol New Member

Gorgeous jacket! Yes, it appears that the pockets are very similar; almost like a hybrid of a flap pocket and a D pocket.

18. Ken at Aero Leather

1950s, 100%

Apparently inspired by The Type A-2, I've yet to see one from the 1930s

AmyWarhol likes this.
  19. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Someone realised the type A2 is pretty much impractical for every use given the pocket style so added the hand warmer version! Probably done too when there was an abundance of ex service A2's in the surplus stores at crazy cheap prices, now where's my time machine?

AmyWarhol likes this.
  20. dmar836

dmar836 Well-Known Member

John Wayne, That almost sounds as if you are implying these were reconfigured A-2s. I’m sure you don’t think that or I misread your post. Perhaps that they were competing with the second hand market but improving the design.
    For clarification to the OP, your jacket is not an original that’s been dolled up. It’s it’s own creature likely made in the 50s... ironically when malls starting being built.
    Dave